Works for Me Wednesday- HELP- I need GOOD Advice!

by Lisa on September 2, 2008

Today’s Works for Me Wednesday is the Backward edition. Shannon, at Rocks in My Dryer, is the host of this carnival. She came up with the idea. So, instead of telling you something that works for me, I am asking for your help. Tell me what works for you, in this situation.

Some of you may have read my Grace’s Style Tip Friday -Interior Design edition, a few weeks ago. I revealed what Grace has done to her crib. She has become a beaver. It is bad. We thought we found something to put over the edge. It was a long strip of rubber that has adhesive on the back. Hubby put it on the crib. It lasted, almost 12 hours. She spent her nap time picking at it, until she pulled it off. She is a very smart and persistant 15 month old. So, help. Does anyone have a good idea? I will take any suggestions. Tell me what worked for you. Oh, and thanks. The wood shavings are really piling up, in her room.

By the way, it looks much worse now. These pictures were taken, about 2 weeks ago. I am embarrassed to take a new picture.

Don’t forget to come back on Tuesday for “Tempt My Tummy Tuesday” blog carnival. It is fun.

~LL~ September 2, 2008 at 9:48 pm

ummmm….this may sound cruel, but it would work….this is what you do for dogs who chew…put hot pepper on it. It will be too hot to “enjoy.” You can cool her down with a cup of milk, but after a few times, I would think she would stop.

Or maybe some of the stuff you can put on a baby’s fingers to keep her from sucking a thumb or chewing fingernails….

Good luck

asnipofgoodness September 2, 2008 at 10:05 pm

I know the One step mag. used to sell a plastic guard that would fit over the edge of the crib. Another thought, was what if you put something she liked even more to chew on in her crib with her. She is obviously teething, or that wood really tastes good! what about a frozen wash cloth, that would feel so good on her little gums, but would just be water when it melts. My daughter had a silver rattle that she just loved because it stayed cool. Hope you work it out! Thanks for visiting my blog, love yours!

Liz September 2, 2008 at 10:13 pm

Have you talked to her about NOT chewing on her crib? I mean, I figure you have, but I wasn't sure. You're a pretty smart mommy & all, so I bet you have.

Like the other commenter mentioned, I remember the plastic cover that goes on the rail from the One Step Ahead magazine/catalog.

Another thought is that if she's awake & standing in her crib to do this, maybe it's time to cut her naps shorter? I mean, if she's just standing in there bored, looking for something to do (chew), then maybe she needs a toy in her crib to play with or a shorter nap?

I'm not sure what the answer is..just something to think on.

Liz September 2, 2008 at 10:14 pm

PS With all the wood shavings piling up, you could collect them & use them as mulch in your flower beds. Or sell them! Think of this as a "get rich quick" scheme. Chew, Grace, Chew!!!

Deanna September 2, 2008 at 10:18 pm

Bless her heart! She must really be teething for this to feel good. Have you tried wrapping/tying some type of fabric around the railing? It would just be temporary, but it would be easier to tie down and she couldn’t pull it off. She also could chew on it and you could take it off and wash it.

Don’t torture your sweet baby girl with those “hot” things. Those are for bad habits and teething is not a bad habit.

Lisa@BlessedwithGrace September 2, 2008 at 10:24 pm

You galls are great.I am loving all your suggestions and ideas!

Donielle September 2, 2008 at 11:03 pm

My in-laws always talk about how my hubby chewed on his crib like that and they tied a towel to the slats for him to chew on instead. Worked great for them. One of those small stuffed animals with the chewy ends might work well too if you put a couple in her crib.

Also, my little guy rubbed his teeth along his crib, just enough to make small marks, so I had to start getting him up from his nap right away instead of letting him hang out for a few minutes.

Hope something works for you!

Christa September 2, 2008 at 11:16 pm

Oh my goodness, I love you! My daughter is doing the same thing, only she’s chewed on _every_ rung and the top rails! We catch her doing it all the time. It’s gotten so bad that we bought a new crib to use for her baby sister (they’re 13 months apart.) We tried spraying it with the all-natural bitter apple spray that you use for dogs, but it only worked for a day. UGH! I’m checking back here soon. Hope someone has some great advice. 🙂

Amy September 2, 2008 at 11:23 pm

Hmmm . . . my daughter did the same thing. Except she did it when she wasn’t napping. We had just gotten new bunk beds that we had saved for forever and every time she’d get in the room she would gnaw on the wood. So frustrating! My mommy brain though is preventing me from remembering what we did to stop it. I’ll think about it and get back to you 🙂

Brad September 2, 2008 at 11:51 pm

Wife: She could get a metal crib.

Me: Get a stack of 2X4s and go with the aforementioned Get-Rich-Quick idea.

ET @ Titus2:3-5 September 3, 2008 at 11:29 am

Maybe it’s time to move out of the crib into a toddler bed? Many toddler beds are made of plastic, so she won’t be able to destroy it. Hopefully that would break the habit before moving on to a ‘big girl’ bed.

Anonymous September 3, 2008 at 11:54 am

I had the same problem with my middle son. He is five now! I put those plastic covers over it and he just ripped them off every night. So, we tied the plastic covers on the rails! It worked, and he couldn’t get them off. After he grew out of it, we sanded that part of the crib and it looks good. Hope this helps.

Angela September 3, 2008 at 4:37 pm

Oh my! My son won’t take his paci out of his mouth long enough for that, and he is 3 now! (He only is allowed to have it at night…)Otherwise it looks like something that could happen here as well… he’s a chewer too… I have no great remedies, but lots of sympathy!

Kelli @ Country Mommie September 3, 2008 at 5:37 pm

Wow – I was worried about my little girl when she started doing this. I used the same term, Beaver! I really wonder why kids do this, now that I know it’s not just my little one who did. Her twin brother never did. She would gnaw on ANYTHING wooden! Piano, chairs, anything! You know you hear of those women who are pregnant and crave charcoal and grass…wonder if this is related?!? I can’t really help you stop it, she just eventually did. She’s four now and every once in a while I’ll catch her gnawing on a tree on the play ground. I just get the hose and spray her a little and she stops. I AM SOOO KIDDING! 😀 You’ve just gotta laugh at ’em sometimes. She’s a smart normal little girl and cute as a bug. I would try the suggestions about tying things to the crib as an alternative to play with. My little beaver just grew out of it before destroying her crib. The plastic things worked pretty good too. I just didn’t let her hang out in there very long or she’d have them off playing with them instead of gnawing. Good luck girl!

Tara @ Feels like home September 3, 2008 at 7:34 pm

Lisa, you’ve got many great comments. I was also going to suggest the toddler bed. Nothing to chew! Though it’s a little scary to think of them in a toddler bed, it might be the best option.

Baby Tunnel Exodus September 3, 2008 at 10:51 pm

Before the aftermodel plastic teething rails were available for cribs, they made cloth covers with velcro; it went over the top rail and secured underneath it between each slot. If baby girl was smart enough to get your first guard off, odds are you might want to SEW this kind on. Also, do you still have her baby monitor hooked up? Crank up the volume and get her out of bed right away when you hear her go at it. We fixed a bunch of teething toys (not the water filled kind) into our kids’ cribs with Link-a-doos. We could always hear them banging those around when they got up right away. Good luck! And out of curiosity, does she get splinters?? Poor girl, those teeth must really hurt! Blessings, Whitney

Christa September 13, 2008 at 7:50 pm

Don’t know how you’ve been doing with this, but I _think_ I may have helped my little girl stop. We used the bitter apple spray a second time and haven’t caught her since. It’s all natural, but tastes terrible. You buy it at a pet store. I feel bad doing that, but she was waking up with wood in her mouth! Ugh! My daughter is only 19 months and was a preemie, so she’s too tiny to move to a toddler bed. Just thought you might want to give that spray a shot!