Tempt My Tummy Tuesday…. Taco Casserole and Ice Cream Sandwich Cake – Oh yeah, baby!

by Lisa on May 4, 2009

Hello everyone and welcome to Tempt My Tummy Tuesday. My sister, Lana, and I co-host this blog carnival. We share recipes, kitchen and cooking tips, restaurant reviews, and anything food related that you want to share. You know the rule of a blog carnival, please mention the blog or TMTT in your post and link back to us. Don’t forget to use Mr. Linky, down below.PLEASE DO NOT HOST YOUR OWN Tempt My Tummy Tuesday with Mr. Linky. Thank You.
(If your post was DELETED, go HERE for an explanation.)

Ase the warm weather arrives, we start to think of picnics, pool parties and staying cool, in Texas. Here is one tasty way of doing just that! (Thanks to my friend, Lori, who made this cake for our church gathering last night. It was awesome!)

Ice Cream Sandwich Cake

Prep Time: 3 hours, 20 minutes
Ingredients:

* 20 ice cream sandwiches (regular, strawberry or neopolitan)
* 1 12 oz. jar hot fudge sauce
* 1 8 oz. container frozen whipped topping (such as Cool Whip), thawed
* candy sprinkles for the top (optional)

Preparation:

1. Cut one ice cream sandwich in half. Place one whole ice cream sandwich and one half of an ice cream sandwich side by side across the short end of a 9 x 13 pan.

2. Next to those ice cream sandwiches, arrange 8 more ice cream sandwiches lengthwise, to cover the bottom of the pan.

3. Place hot fudge sauce in a microwave-safe container. Heat on high for 30 seconds. Spread half of the sauce over the ice cream sandwiches.

4. Top with half of the whipped topping.

5. Repeat layers: ice cream sandwiches, hot fudge sauce and whipped topping. Scatter sprinkles over top.

6. Freeze, uncovered 2 hours. Cover with foil and freeze another hour.

I also wanted to share a recipe that a dear family friend sent me, via email, last week. She enjoys Tempt My Tummy Tuesday and is on facebook, but does not blog. So, I said I would love to post this recipe for her. We all LOVE crock pot recipes. Kathy was my Sunday School teacher way too many years ago, when I was in high school. Thanks Kathy!

Crock Pot Taco Casserole

1 ½ lbs ground beef

Salt and pepper to taste

1 small onion, chopped

1 clove garlic, minced

1 envelope Taco Seasoning mix

Vegetable oil or PAM spray

9 corn tortillas (5 ½ inch)

½ cup chicken broth

½ cup tomato sauce

10 oz can Enchilada Sauce

1 ½ cups cheddar cheese

2 cans beans, drained, rinsed

11 oz frozen whole kernel corn

1 can Rotel tomatoes, drained

2 Tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped

2 ¼ oz can chopped ripe olives

Sour cream

Brown ground beef, with salt, pepper, onion and garlic 8-10 minutes until cooked completely. Drain thoroughly. Add taco seasoning and set aside.

Brush inside of crock pot with oil or non-stick cooking spray. Place 3 tortillas to cover bottom of crock pot. Top with beef, then ½ can Rotel, then broth, then tomato sauce, then enchilada sauce. Sprinkle with ½ cup cheese. Layer 3 more tortillas; top with beans, corn, other ½ Rotel, ½ cup cheese. Top with remaining 3 tortillas, remaining ½ cup cheese and remaining olives.

Cook on high setting for 2 ½ -3 hours or on low for 6-7 hours. Uncover for last 30 minutes. Top individual servings with a dollop of sour cream.

*I don’t like beans or olives, so, I made it without the beans and used 2 ½ lbs of ground beef and no olives. We did this at our office for a luncheon; each of us brought ingredients. We layered it upon arrival and did the 3 hour method and had a wonderful lunch! I was VERY skeptical, but it was really yummy! The leftovers kept very well, too!

I am linking this post to I am Blissfully Domestic.

Hey everyone. Looks like the Mr.Linky website/server is having problems this morning. It went down about 8am. Try coming back later to link up, or leave your link in the comments.

Ginger May 4, 2009 at 7:47 pm

Yeah! I finally made it early!

I so have the Ice Cream Sandwich Cake in my Tabletalk with dif. variations. There’s no limit to what you can do with this easy recipe!

Ginger

Live.Love.Eat May 4, 2009 at 8:15 pm

Hi there!!! These both sound awesome and the ice cream cake looks to die for. I am so sorry I have been unable to visit everyone like I used to. I have a job now where I actually work. My last one afforded me more time during the day. Hope all is well!!!!!!

Jerri - Simply Sweet Home May 4, 2009 at 8:29 pm

This cake sounds so yummy! I love ice cream sandwiches. It would be such a perfect treat for kids. The taco casserole sounds delicious too.

The Happy Housewife May 4, 2009 at 8:33 pm

Yum! That ice cream cake looks so yummy and simple. I will definitely be making it this summer!
Thanks for sharing it!
Toni

Heather @ Not a DIY Life May 4, 2009 at 9:11 pm

I like the idea of the office lunch – everyone bringing an ingredient and letting it cook in the crockpot while you work. Great idea!

Phoebe @ Cents to Get Debt Free May 4, 2009 at 9:19 pm

Oh man–I’m salivating. Yummy!!

Life with Kaishon May 4, 2009 at 9:27 pm

I want to make this ice cream cake immediately. Oh my goodness gracious sakes alive. This looks HEAVENLY : ). Thanks for sharing!

Mary Beth May 4, 2009 at 9:36 pm

Is it just me or has anyone else gained weight after visiting Blessed With Grace? I swear, I always leave here hungry and with a grocery list. Thanks for more great recipes….woo hoo!

Extraordinary Ordinary Life May 4, 2009 at 9:45 pm

Seriously I was craving ice cream before, but now I must make that cake!

Groovy Mom May 4, 2009 at 10:20 pm

Yummy – both of those recipes look delicious. Haven’t had much time to cook lately and totally miss it. Your recipes bring a craving for cozying up to the stove again. Mmm. :)

Hoosier Homemade May 4, 2009 at 10:37 pm

Yum! Both of those recipes look great! Thanks for hosting!
~Liz

Pami May 4, 2009 at 10:48 pm

YUMMMM they both look great! thanks for being such a gracious host!

Brenda May 4, 2009 at 11:22 pm

This looks really good but I wonder if the tortillas fall apart in the crockpot?

I’ve seen that recipe for the icecream sandwich cake before and it always looks really good!

Vivienne May 5, 2009 at 1:05 am

Sounds good! Thanks!

Emily @ Marvelous Recipes May 5, 2009 at 5:28 am

I am definitely making this taco casserole. My whole family will love it!

Lori May 5, 2009 at 5:59 am

Oh. My. Ice Cream Sandwich Cake? I’m getting fatter just reading the recipe! :) LOL! Sounds so good! Thanks for hosting TMTT…I’m really finding some good recipes!

TidyMom May 5, 2009 at 7:04 am

OOOOH my hubby LOVED Ice Cream cake, I’m going to try this for his birthday in Aug!!

Thanks!
~TidyMom

Lori@EnjoyThe Process May 5, 2009 at 7:26 am

Oh YUM!!! I am actually thinking of using the cake recipe for a party for my daughter’s get together this weekend…..6 twelve year old girls – they will LOVE it!!!!

Michelle May 5, 2009 at 7:32 am

Ooooo, I love that we’re getting a two-fer today!

I’ve seen those ice cream sandwich cakes before … and having not eaten breakfast yet, I’m drooling :)

Plus, anything in the crock pot. I’m so going to have to try that one! Thanks, Lisa!

Crystal May 5, 2009 at 8:08 am

Um, where is Mr. Linky?

Samantha May 5, 2009 at 8:33 am

Both sound wonderful ! My family would love that ice cream cake, it looks so good for a hot summer day !
Where is Mr. Linky ?
Thanks for hosting, have a very blessed Tuesday.

shopannies May 5, 2009 at 8:55 am

can not find mr linky not sure where it is but here is my link http://blissfullydomestic.com that I would have added

I do love the great ice cream cake recipe as it will be great this summer

Alisa May 5, 2009 at 9:17 am

Here’s my link in case I don’t get back to do it later.

Your ice cream cake looks delicious!

Just A Mom (Call me JAM for short) May 5, 2009 at 10:41 am

Mmmm, mmmm, mmmm! Both look yummy, but this morning I would love me some Ice Cream Sandwich Cake!

I posted a recipe for an easy Greek Pasta Salad, great for summer potlucks!

Here’s the link:

gingerrwade May 5, 2009 at 11:20 am

Here’s another foodie link until Mr. Linky reappears… ha!

Martha (FL) May 5, 2009 at 11:35 am

Thanks for sharing the Ice Cream Sandwich Cake. I have been wanting to make this, but kept forgetting to look for a recipe!
Easy Chicken Divan

Dana May 5, 2009 at 11:39 am

First time joining TMTT, and I can’t remember where I found your blog. But I hope my addition for Cinco de Mayo is done properly!

Marcia@Frugalhomekeeping May 5, 2009 at 11:40 am

I love any spring/summer dessert that has ice cream in the recipe.

Katie May 5, 2009 at 11:50 am
justoneoftheboys May 5, 2009 at 12:12 pm

Oooh! Both of those recipes sound like sure-fire winners! I can’t wait to try them! My TMTT link is for Coconut-Blueberry Cheesecake Bars. Yummy! Here is my link:

Kristen May 5, 2009 at 12:26 pm

I luuuuv ice cream sandwich cake – it’s hard to stop eating! :)

And that casserole sounds really yummy – I can’t wait to try it!

michelle May 5, 2009 at 1:37 pm

Those both look really good! Here’s my link for my Tasty Tuesday!

Mel May 5, 2009 at 1:43 pm

Yum! Both of your recipes sound delicious! We love tacos in this house, so I can tell you we’ll definitely be trying that recipe.

Lisa May 5, 2009 at 2:02 pm

Thanks! Both of your recipes look like winners.

jsprik May 5, 2009 at 4:30 pm

two great recipes today!!! wow!! gonna have to try both of these! :) thnx!!

UnfinishedMom May 5, 2009 at 7:58 pm

The ice cream cake looks absolutely decadent.

itsahumanzoo May 6, 2009 at 11:36 am

I have never heard of an ice cream sandwich cake. That sounds like a great (and thrifty) alternative to a store-bought ice cream cake. Yum!

Ginger May 6, 2009 at 6:46 pm

Hey, you know what? I think using the candy sprinkles and hot fudge are a great idea! And who doesn’t already have those around, you know? Maybe even nuts and a cherry like a hot fudge sundae. Makes me want some nowww… ha!

Ginger