Tempt My Tummy Tuesday…. Something old, something new

by Lisa on June 1, 2009

Hello everyone and welcome to Tempt My Tummy Tuesday. My sister, Lana, and I co-host this blog carnival. We share recipes, kitchen and cooking tips, restaurant reviews, and anything food related that you want to share. You know the rule of a blog carnival, please mention the blog or TMTT in your post and link back to us. Don’t forget to use Mr. Linky, down below. PLEASE DO NOT HOST YOUR OWN Tempt My Tummy Tuesday with Mr. Linky. Thank You.

I know the Mr. Linky thing is getting frustrating. It is very frustrating for me, the host of this particular blog carnival, knowing you all come, each week, looking forward to all the great recipe links!. I hope things are fixed. The Mr. Linky website owner is working hard. Just know that ALL the blogs that use Mr. Linky in their blog carnivals and memes are having the same problem. Thank you for coming back each week. Lana and I am inspired by all of you and your great recipes!!

One last thing-This week we are on vacation. Grace, hubby and I have traveled with Lana, her hubby and child,and our parents to the Texas Gulf Coast. So, I hope you will forgive us, if Lana and I don’t make it to everyone’s blog posts this week. We may be to exhausted after a day at the beach, to even turn on the computer. Ha ha.

I have shared the Green Chili Lasagna, before. It is a winner at my house. I made it last week, after hubby was laid off his job. It is one of his favorites and I wanted to do something special for him!! I also made sauteed broccoli spears with garlic. This was a new recipe for us. We loved it, so I wanted to share it, as well.

Green Chili Lasagna

Sauce:

1 1/2 lbs ground beef

1/2 tsp garlic powder

2 -15oz cans tomato sauce

1 tsp sugar

1/2 tsp salt

1/2 tsp pepper

Filling:

1 cup sour cream (I use low fat sour cream)

1 cup small curd cottage cheese ( I use low fat)

1 package cream cheese, softened ( I use low fat )

4 green onions, chopped (I usually leave these out and don’g miss them.)

4 oz. chopped green chilis ( I use 2 – 4 oz cans of green chilis. We LOVE the green chili flavor!)

6-8 OVEN READY lasagna noodles ( I have NEVER had a problem with oven ready noodles!)

1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese

1/2 cup of grated mozzarella cheese ( or more- more cheese the better)

-In large skillet, brown beef with garlic power;drain well. Add all remaining sauce ingredients to skillet; bring to boil, then simmer for 10 minutes

-In medium bowl, combine all filling ingredients and mix until smooth.

-To assemble: layer uncooked noodles, meat sauce, and filling mixture in 9×13 baking dish prepared with nonstick spray. Repeat with second layer. Sprinkle with parmesan and mozzarella cheese on top.

-Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for about 35-40 minutes. If going to refrigerate to oven, add 10 minutes to bake time.

You can also freeze this uncooked. I have done this twice and it did great.

Sauteed Broccoli Spears with Garlic

2 bunches broccoli, cut into spears
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tbsp jarred roasted garlic
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
salt and pepper to taste

Blanch the broccoli spears in several quarts of salted, boiling water, until bright green and leaves are tender, about 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from the hot water and plunge in ice water to stop the cooking process. Drain well and set aside. Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat; add the garlic and crushed red pepper sauteing until browned. Add the broccoli to the pan and toss to coat with the garlic/ pepper mixture and heat through. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

The Happy Housewife June 1, 2009 at 8:51 pm

My kids have just started to like broccoli so I am going to have to try this recipe. So far 4/6 kids will eat it so I am making it frequently!
Toni

Michelle June 1, 2009 at 9:02 pm

Ooooo I love broccoli when blanched and served with ummm something to give it zip. I'm definitely keeping this one — and I bet it would be great using spinach instead of broccoli, too!

Hoosier Homemade June 1, 2009 at 9:11 pm

Both recipes look really good! Thanks for sharing! I hope you are having a wonderful vacation, you really deserve it!
Thanks for hosting!
~Liz

Kara June 1, 2009 at 9:58 pm

Both of these recipes sound just fabulous! I love green chilies and broccoli. Yummmy!

Pami June 1, 2009 at 9:58 pm

THEY BOTH SOUND REALLY GOOD!!!! HOPE YOUR VACATION IS AWESOME…
HERE IS MY TMTT POST

Omah's Helping Hands June 1, 2009 at 10:01 pm

Very interesting lasagna recipe. Will definitely have to try that one. The broccoli sounds yummy as well. Thanks for sharing. Hope you all are enjoying your vacation! Michelle’s idea of using spinach actually sounds good too! Love all the great recipes here!

Elizabeth G June 1, 2009 at 10:10 pm

I’m a big fan of broccoli. Here’s my recipe this week:

Korean rice bowlsThanks for hosting

foxxy June 1, 2009 at 10:18 pm

Have a great time on your vacation! You shouldn’t turn on your computer while on vacation. That’s the whole purpose of leaving right? ~smile~ Thanks for hosting!

Sherry June 1, 2009 at 10:23 pm

My son loves fresh broccoli and they love broccoli cooked as long it is smothered in cheese. LOL! I might have to try it with the garlic though as dd loves garlic.

Jerri - Simply Sweet Home June 1, 2009 at 10:37 pm
Samantha June 1, 2009 at 10:55 pm

They sound delicious !
Thanks so much for hosting. Have a great vacation !

My recipe @ http://sweetsouthernjourney.blogspot.com/

Courtney June 1, 2009 at 10:59 pm

I posted my Orange Julius recipe here:

Robin June 1, 2009 at 11:19 pm

I love broccoli but haven’t tried this and it sounds yummy.
Have so much fun at the beach…
Robin
All Things Heart and Home

Becca June 2, 2009 at 12:28 am

Broccoli is one of the few veggies I eat and your recipe sounds great! I posted a restaurant review at http://beccasbackyard.blogspot.com/2009/06/tempt-my-tummy-tuesdays.html

Emily @ Marvelous Recipes June 2, 2009 at 5:29 am

Hope you guys have a great vacation! My TMTT post would be the perfect dessert to go with this dinner!!

Sarah June 2, 2009 at 5:34 am

Hope you ARE too exhasted to check – that means I good day was had by all :)

My recipe – Caramel Rice Crispy Treats

Melissa June 2, 2009 at 5:59 am

Ooh, the sauteed broccoli sounds wonderful!

Mr. Linky seems to be sleeping in this morning. Here’s my post (easy chocolate mousse):

Holly June 2, 2009 at 6:29 am

i need to try that lasagna recipe, yum!

here’s mine!

Nanna June 2, 2009 at 7:05 am

looks like there’s a lot of new twist on old favorites today LOL I have a new twist for Taco salad, your lasagna sounds interstingly good!I had to geta new computer so I’m back amongest blog land LOL
Helen

Amy June 2, 2009 at 10:02 am

That lasagna sounds really yummy!

I’m here for the first time- just bumped into this meme from The Happy Housewife’s blog. I recently starting including recipes and menus on my main blog, rather than a seperate cooking blog– that was just too time consuming! I still love to share recipes, though!

I’m sharing my Broccoli Salad recipe today in my TMT post.

Frugal Homemaker June 2, 2009 at 10:07 am

Thanks for hosting Tempt My Tummy Tuesday. Sorry about all the Mr. Linky Troubles. Here’s my post: Adventures in Frugal Homemaking

Sherrie June 2, 2009 at 11:43 am

Hi!
Your recipe sounds delicious! Mine is posted at my place, Food for Thought.
http://100sweets.blogspot.com/2009/06/tempt-my-tummy-tuesday.html Have a great day!!

Sherrie

Heather June 2, 2009 at 12:04 pm

The lasagna sounds yummy! Hope you have a great trip! :)

Sherry June 2, 2009 at 5:42 pm

I dont think my link worked earlier, and the site keep messing up, so i will leave my link here!

turtleracing4 June 2, 2009 at 5:46 pm

Your lasagna sounds wonderful- can you have it here by 6? No? Well, I thought that I would try! Seriously I am printing that one out to try for my gang. Thanks for putting that one out there!

~LL~ June 2, 2009 at 10:27 pm

Left you an award…come get it :)

jsprik June 3, 2009 at 8:25 pm

this sounds amazing!! thanks for a great recipe!! have fun on vacation, we are leaving sat. afternnon for a few days vacation, our first in 16 years!! we are just camping a couple hours north of where we live ;)but its gonna be fun!!

~hon~ June 4, 2009 at 10:35 pm

Another visit from me and I really adore Grace! I LOVE her name, too!

I should try this recipe. I LOVE broccoli and garlic! Should be a great combination.

GOD BLESS YOU ABUNDANTLY! P.U.S.H.

iLoveYou, my dear co-heiress in CHRIST!