Tempt My Tummy Tuesday….Halloween Party Dip Ideas

by Lisa on October 26, 2009

Hello everyone and welcome to Tempt My Tummy Tuesday. My sister, Lana, and I co-host this blog carnival. We share recipes, kitchen and cooking tips, restaurant reviews, and anything food related that you want to share. You know the rule of a blog carnival, please mention the blog or TMTT in your post and link back to Blessed with Grace blog. Don’t forget to use Mr. Linky, down below. PLEASE DO NOT HOST YOUR OWN Tempt My Tummy Tuesday with Mr. Linky. Thank You.

Hey ladies. I wanted to thank you all for the great participation. We have had over 100 blogs linked each week for several weeks now. WOW!! So awesome and so humbling! Please know that I want to visit each blog. With my laptop still in disrepair, I am getting limited online time. So, PLEASE do not get your feelings hurt if it is taking me a while to visit your TMTT posts. Thanks again for coming back, each week.

I’m from Texas so any party needs some type of salsa or Mexican dip. Right, my fellow Texans? So, with Halloween coming this Saturday, I am sure a few of you may be gathering for some fellowship and fun. Here are a few options for you.

Best Homemade Salsa
Ingredients:
1 large can of diced tomatoes
1 onion – rough chop (white or red)
1/2 to 1 jalapeno (you judge for your taste buds)
2-3 tomatillo -remove husks and quarter (FYI: tomatillos do not have heat – just flavor)
1 handful of fresh cilantro
garlic and salt to taste
lime juice to taste

Directions:
Combine all ingredients, except the cilantro, in the food processor. Pulse to chop. My husband and I like it thick and chunky, so I chop less. If you like a more liquid salsa, then chop longer. Next, add the cilantro and process until the cilantro is incorporated into the salsa.

Mexican Bean Dip

• 1 (8oz) block 1/3 less fat cream cheese, softened
  • 1 cup (4oz) shredded Monterrey Jack cheese with jalapeno peppers
  • 1/2 cup chopped onion
  • 1 (15oz) can vegetarian chili with beans
  • 1 (4.5 oz) can chopped green chilies, undrained

Preheat oven 350
Spread cream cheese on 9 inch pie plate. Combine 1/2 cup Monterrey Jack cheese, onion, chili and green chilies in small bowl. Spread chili mixture over cream cheese. Sprinkle with 1/2 chp cheese. Bake at 350 for 20 minutes.

Now, get your chips and start munching!! No trick here…. only treats!!

Christi @ A Southern Life October 26, 2009 at 7:37 pm

Love homemade salsa. Not a big fan of cilantro but, I'm sure I'm in the minority on that! Yum on everything!

Christi @ A Southern Life

Michelle October 26, 2009 at 7:59 pm

Mmmm, I am SO all over that. Yum! In fact, fresh food in general just sounds really good to me right now.

Jenn @ Beautiful Calling October 26, 2009 at 8:16 pm

Sounds yummy. I could go for a little snack right about now 🙂

mickey October 26, 2009 at 8:22 pm

Love it! Being from Texas myself, that Mexican Bean dip is kinda like our "Chili Cheese Dip". We devour it!

Sherry October 26, 2009 at 8:36 pm

Nothing like homemade salsa!! 😀 Thanks for sharing the recipe!

Hoosier Homemade October 26, 2009 at 8:54 pm

Yum! Those dips look really good! Thanks for hosting another great TMTT!
~Liz

The Happy Housewife October 26, 2009 at 10:03 pm

Yum! I wrote about beans today too. I love salsa! I use to make my own then fell off the wagon for a while. I need to start making it again, so much better than store bought salsa.
Toni

Carolyn @ My Backyard Eden October 26, 2009 at 10:22 pm

I've never tried tomatillos. Maybe that's what my salsa has been missing!

ayersfamily October 26, 2009 at 11:29 pm

Sorry, I linked myself twice! Oops!

Brenda October 26, 2009 at 11:43 pm

That bean dip looks great! Love that stuff.

Diann @ The Thrifty Groove October 26, 2009 at 11:50 pm

Those dips look yummy! thanks for the recipes.

Have a great day!

Shelley October 27, 2009 at 3:30 am

They look yummy! We make a pizza dip that has the cream cheese base on a pie plate. Can't wait to try your mexican version 🙂

Jerri October 27, 2009 at 4:44 am

Congrats on 100 bloggers! And thanks so much for hosting each week!

Happy Nester October 27, 2009 at 6:50 am

Thanks for hosting. That bean dip sounds like it would be a hit with my family.

darnold23 October 27, 2009 at 6:58 am

Thanks for sharing these. They both look, and I'm sure taste, great. Have a great week. Come join me for Crock Pot Wednesday when you can.

Iris October 27, 2009 at 7:44 am

I like that your recipe calls for canned tomatoes since good fresh ones are hard to come by right now. I just made a garbanzo bean guacamole and these dips would combine perfectly with that!

Amy @ Simply Sugar & Gluten-Free October 27, 2009 at 7:56 am

I'm a Texan, too, and I love salsa. No Halloween parties, here – it's not our thing. I remember when I was growing up – high school & college age – and everyone would dress up. I'd rather read a good book. Nerdy, I know, but it's just me.

Thanks for hosting and a HUGE congrats on your fab participation. My opinion – when it gets this big you can't feel obligated to visit everyone every week. Just my two cents.

jsprik October 27, 2009 at 9:02 am

i have a salsa recipe that is to die for…everything is fresh, nothing canned, but this time of year, you really can't get really good tomatoes fresh anyway!! this might be a good second best!! 🙂 thnx!!

Julie@comehaveapeace October 27, 2009 at 9:14 am

Sorry for your laptop woes. My feelings will not be hurt … 🙂 I just think fall is the perfect season for dips. Thanks for bringing all of these great recipes together!

The Desperate Cook October 27, 2009 at 9:49 am

Anything with cream cheese gets my vote. Sounds really good.

Melissa October 27, 2009 at 10:36 am

Ooh, homemade salsa! I haven't made that for a while, because our tomato crop this summer was pretty sad.

Linda October 27, 2009 at 12:57 pm

I've never thought of making salsa, but we don't use a lot of it. You make it sound so easy.

Alexis AKA MOM October 27, 2009 at 1:19 pm

Ohhh love this! Thanks so much for the recipe! My boys would love this!

Posted mine 🙂

Sarah October 27, 2009 at 6:50 pm

Yay! I have three tomatillo plants that have a gazillion tomatillos on them and I have never used one in my life. I thought I was buying tomato seeds…..and right now they are doing better than the tomaotes. SOOOO….I'm happy to have your salsa recipe. 4 down, a little less than a gazillion to go!

Sherri @ Luv a Bargain October 27, 2009 at 8:08 pm

OOhhh…I can't wait to try your salsa. And so of the great linky's.

Tami October 28, 2009 at 12:41 pm

What a great salsa and bean dip recipe. I always have cilantro in the fridge…it is my favorite herb to add for flavor. Will certainly try this one.

HOpe you enjoy the recipe I linked for Carame Apple Cider. Now I need to go look at some of these other wonderful recipes linked!

Jen @ Passport to Savings and Food December 12, 2009 at 12:02 pm

They both sound really good. I sure wish it were still tomato season. All my plants are dead from the cold weather. 🙁