Tempt My Tummy Tuesday….. Chicken Spaghetti the Pioneer Way

by Lisa on December 28, 2009

I only wanted one thing for Christmas and I got it!! Thanks, Mom and Dad! I wanted The Pioneer Woman Cooks cookbook by Ree Drummond. Surely you know Ree. She is the witty city girl who married a cowboy? Her blog, The Pioneer Woman is a fun read. The cookbook is full of recipes, beautiful photography – all taken by Ree on the ranch- and stories about life with her family, living on a very active cattle ranch. It is much more than a cookbook. She had it published this fall and I wanted it. It is full of good home cookin’. I have already started using the cookbook and my menu plan for this week will be using two more recipes from the book.

I have been homesick for my mom’s cooking and her chicken spaghetti is similar to Ree’s. So, I made the chicken spaghetti from the cookbook, with a few minor changes. No offense, Ree, but I had to add my own touches. (Good thing about Ree’s blog- many of the recipes in the cookbook are already on her blog. So, if you don’t want to buy the book, just spend some time browsing through her blog. You will find something you like. )

I don’t normally do this, but instead of typing out the recipe, I am including THIS LINK to the CHICKEN SPAGHETTI on The Pioneer Woman Cooks site, including my own little touches.

My additions: I also used garlic powder to taste, a can of stewed tomatoes, and I did not include pimientos. Also, for the chicken, I made The Newlyweds “Sticky Chicken”, the previous day, and used the chicken from her recipe for the chicken spaghetti. I reserved the broth and drippings from the “sticky chicken” and used as part of my broth needed for the chicken spaghetti. It added great flavor.

The dish before it went into the oven:
Hot and out of the oven!

This recipe received praise and approval from my hubby and Gracie, the 2 year old. She ate multiple helpings AND ate it again, the next day, as leftovers.
I will be making the P.W version of chicken spaghetti over and over again. I think it is a new favorite at our household. (No offense to Lana, who’s recipe I have been making for years. Love ya, sis!)

Speaking of Lana, she and her hubby are taking a mini vacation. She will not be participating in TMTT, this week. Her husband, just completed 2 trying years, completing a VERY difficult Master’s program, graduating with High Honors from The University of Texas at Austin – while working full time at his job. Both he and Lana have made many sacrifices to make this goal a reality, with lots of help from God. I am so proud of my BIL and my sister, Lana. I pray they are having a great time, getting away from it all and enjoying time together.

Share God's Love with Greeting Cards by DaySpring

Deanna December 28, 2009 at 8:46 pm

Me too, Lisa! I wanted Ree's cookbook for Christmas. We have dirty Santa at my family so when my BIL opened that cookbook I stole it from him. It is proudly sitting on my counter right now! I made her monkey muffins last week. Yummy!!

Michelle December 28, 2009 at 9:24 pm

Oooo that sounds interesting. Oddly, growing up we never did any casseroles, so I don't ummm know how to make them or eat them. Weird, I know. I will have to try one soon, as this looks good!

Denise December 28, 2009 at 11:09 pm

This sounds too delicious not to try, and a nice change from turkey and ham leftovers this week 😉

Iris December 28, 2009 at 11:10 pm

That looks really yummy! I love Ree too!

Sherry December 28, 2009 at 11:51 pm

Congrats to Lana's hubby for graduating!
That recipe looks phenomenal! I have been hearing so much about PW cookbook, I think I might have to grab it, you know with my obession I mean collection of cookbooks 🙂

Kristen December 28, 2009 at 11:59 pm

Your version looks every bit as delcious as the original. Wonderful dish!!

Jenna @ Newlyweds December 29, 2009 at 12:05 am

I love PW's recipes and cook book also, I haven't tried her Chicken Spaghetti, but want to.

So glad you used the sticky chicken for the chicken and drippings, I just love that.

Jerri December 29, 2009 at 12:11 am

For some reason I've never been a big spaghetti eater, but I would love to try some chicken spagetti! Sounds like it would be right up my alley!

Kimberly December 29, 2009 at 12:11 am

So yum! I find myself loving casseroles more and more. You just can't go wrong. Happy New Year!

Greenearth December 29, 2009 at 12:29 am

Your chicken spaghetti sounds delicious. So pleased it was a hit with your hubby and daughter.

Wishing you a wonderful New Year.

Julie@comehaveapeace December 29, 2009 at 9:06 am

I smiled when I opened the page … I'm at my in-laws, and they gave me the same cookbook for Christmas. Popular gift this year so many kitchens may be smelling the same. 🙂 Thanks for the great pics.

April@The 21st Century Housewife December 29, 2009 at 11:13 am

That looks really delicious. I have been making a spaghetti casserole for years but it is different as it is beef and tomato sauce based – this recipe would make a lovely change and I'll definitely be trying it soon. Thanks for hosting and Happy New Year to you and yours!

Liz@HoosierHomemade December 29, 2009 at 11:55 am

I love her cookbook too! Thanks so much for hosting! I just had to add my cupcakes today 🙂
~Liz

Mandy December 29, 2009 at 12:49 pm

Wow! Would have never come up with this recipe on my own! Thanks for sharing!

Alea December 29, 2009 at 1:18 pm

I love how you used the leftovers to create a delicious dinner for your family!

Mrs. P. December 29, 2009 at 2:01 pm

I totally am a Ree Drummond fan. This is a slightly different chicken spaghetti than the one I make but I will have to give it a try since it has Marlboro Man's approval 🙂

Blessings & thanks for hosting 🙂

Gail

The Not So Perfect Housewife December 29, 2009 at 4:32 pm

I've heard of her, but haven't had a chance yet to check our her blog. Will have to do that soon!!

This dish looks YUMMY!!

gfe--gluten free easily December 29, 2009 at 6:24 pm

Ree is a delight! Saw and heard her speak at the BlogHer Food conference in San Francisco. As an attendee at her cocktail party with Elise and Jaden, I received her cookbook for free–way cool!

I've shared my double chocolate Clementine cake (adapted from Nigella)–very yummy, and healthy, too. 🙂

Shirley

Nanna December 29, 2009 at 6:45 pm

ohh that looks yummy!

Helen

Debbie December 29, 2009 at 6:53 pm

I just loved the pictures as much as the recipes, especially those of the children. Happy New Year. Hope to see you back at Crock Pot Wednesday this week.

Tara @ Feels like home December 29, 2009 at 7:27 pm

I got Ree's cookbook when it first came out, but it's been hiding in plain sight since then. I just got it out over the weekend and start reading it from cover to cover, like a novel. I love her writing and her recipes. What a gift she is to all of us. 🙂

As are you, Lisa. I'm sorry that you're homesick, but I'm so glad that you're able to live with Chris. We pray for you!

Alisa December 29, 2009 at 9:37 pm

This recipe is WONDERFUL!! I made it not too long ago and we all loved it!

Candi December 29, 2009 at 11:44 pm

I want her cookbook too!!! She was here in Atlanta a few weeks ago and I wanted to go and get an autograph copy but it didn't work out. I was so disappointed. The recipe looks really yummy, I can't wait to try it!

lana December 30, 2009 at 8:53 am

this looks great and yummy. I may try this one next time too!

The Sacco's - Our Life January 5, 2010 at 8:35 am

I LOVE Pioneer Woman too. She rocks! I'm going to check this recipe out. Have you tried her chili recipe? It's the only one that I will eat now.

Lanie January 5, 2010 at 9:49 am

I linked, and I just became a follower.

Anonymous January 13, 2010 at 9:04 pm

I will not approve on it. I over polite post. Especially the title attracted me to review the whole story.

Anonymous January 17, 2010 at 6:46 pm

Good post and this fill someone in on helped me alot in my college assignement. Thank you on your information.