Tempt My Tummy Tuesday… The Tuna Salad Sandwich

by Lisa on January 11, 2010

I am glad you are joining us for Tempt My Tummy Tuesday, this week. I co- host with my sister, Lana. Please be polite and follow the rules of a blog carnival, mentioning TMTT and linking back to this post from your blog post. Thanks.

Okay, now don’t roll your eyes and say, “Really, Lisa? Is tuna salad the best you can come up with, this week?” I know tuna salad is a simple meal. But, I bet most of us make it different. There are so many variations on this theme. I know I make it different almost every time. So, today, while making the tuna for lunch, I thought I would snap a few pictures and write a TMTT post, asking you to tell me what different ingredients you enjoy in your tuna.

Todays ingredients:

• mayo – several tablespoons (I like it really creamy.)
  • mustard – one tablespoon
  • 1 large can tuna fish (chunk white in water)
  • onion flakes to taste ( or fresh finely chopped onion)
  • baby kosher dill pickles, chopped – about 2 tablespoons
  • Lawry’s Seasoning salt – just a dash
  • 1 celery stalk finely chopped
  • 4 eggs boiled (I like it full of eggs!)

1. Boil your eggs.
2. While eggs are boiling, I mix all my other ingredients.
3. Once eggs are done, I use one of my favorite Pampered Chef gadgets. It’s an egg slicer! Love it.
4. Stir the eggs into the tuna mixture. Stir, stir,stir.
Now, I don’t know anything better to accompany a tuna fish sandwich than Cheetos! YUM!

So, what do you like in your tuna? Sometimes I will chop up an apple and add to the mix, as well. Tell me your family’s tuna recipe.

Share God's Love with Greeting Cards by DaySpring

Live.Love.Eat January 11, 2010 at 7:54 pm

THE tuna salad sandwich. I like that!!!!!!! And I am especially loving the Cheetos with it. I don't make tuna salad much but it def has to be chunk white in water. I do love that you add Lawry's to yours. My hubs must have gherkins in his!!!!!!!

Renee January 11, 2010 at 8:23 pm

When I make it I only add celery, pepper, white vinegar, mayo(lots), homemade bread and butter pickles. It is so yummy. We love it this way.
God bless

lana January 11, 2010 at 8:38 pm

OK, now I'm hungry for tuna… thanks! I'm sitting this TMTT out as I'm just too tired to type or think. Love you.

TidyMom January 11, 2010 at 9:18 pm

Ahhh, now you have me hungry for some good ole tuna salad!! – you know I ate that for lunch almost every day (that I worked) while I was pregnant with my youngest!…..yum!

~TidyMom

Lynn January 11, 2010 at 9:32 pm

You are right about each of us making tuna different. I grew up in OR and my husband grew up in OK. The first time I had egg in a tuna sandwich I could not believe it. I had never had egg in tuna before. I grew up eating pickles or relish in mine and my husband did not. It is strange how even tuna can be regional and different in each family.

Candi January 11, 2010 at 9:39 pm

My husband and his family grew up eating tuna fish sandwiches (with boiled eggs) and french fries every Sunday after worship services. They never put relish in theirs. We always put pickle relish in ours but never put eggs. Now I like it both ways and even get into the french fry thing every now and again.

Pami January 11, 2010 at 9:55 pm

yumm now I am craving a good old tuna sandwich thanks I love your ingrediants

Diann @ The thrifty Groove January 11, 2010 at 9:59 pm

Tuna sandwiches are a major comfort food to me. They bring back good memeories of childhood and they are to this day they are my favorite sandwich!

Sherry January 11, 2010 at 10:00 pm

Love tuna salad! I make mine with plain Miracle Whip and sprinkling of Greek salt or mayo, texas pete/tabasco, and seasoned salt. 😀

Troy @ I Refuse to Recede January 11, 2010 at 10:02 pm

I'm a purist. Tuna, Miracle Whip, and if I'm feeling bold and daring just a little diced dill pickle. Too much else and it tastes like a salad instead of a sandwich.

I do like to open them up and put potato chips inside while I'm eating them though. It makes me feel like a little kid.

Hoosier Homemade January 11, 2010 at 10:05 pm

I'll have to say, Tuna Salad Sandwich is something I have never made. Yours looks really good though.
Thanks for hosting!
~Liz

Christi @ A Southern Life January 11, 2010 at 10:14 pm

I love tuna salad! I have never made it with mustard, but the other ingredients seem familiar. I like green onions and sweet pickles in mine.

Hmmm, I think I've got some tuna in the cabinet. I'll have to make some tuna salad this week!

Christi @ A Southern Life

Charlene January 11, 2010 at 10:17 pm

I grew up with tuna with eggs, dill pickles, and mayo, but didn't care for it much. I finally figured out it was the big chunks of eggs that I didn't like. These days I usually make mine without eggs, but when I do add them on occasion, I make sure to dice them extremely fine. I add pickle relish, mayo or Miracle Whip, sometimes a little grated cheese or chopped candied jalapenos.

I don't like celery in mine, so tuna salad on bread seems a bit mushy. Instead, I like to eat a scoop of tuna salad with crackers or chips–something with some crunch to it.

I've eaten tuna salad with chopped apples in it–it's good that way, too, I've just never made it that way myself.

Liz January 11, 2010 at 10:35 pm

The ONLY thing I do different than your recipe is the celery. I don't like it in my tuna, but I wouldn't mind eating it w/ a tuna sandwich. I vary the seasonings sometimes, depending on what I'm in the mood for.

Angela January 11, 2010 at 10:47 pm

Yum! Great Pics and I love Tuna Salad Sammies!

Michelle January 11, 2010 at 10:54 pm

That's actually kind of funny. Some of those ingredients I'd never thought of putting into tuna salad.

I do like the egg and wonder if I could get Mister Man to eat that. Hmmm. I haven't boiled eggs in forever!

I do mine super easy and super fast — tuna, just enough mayo to hold it together (I don't like mine creamy at all!), some pepper, a tiny bit of salt, fresh grated Parm and sometimes relish if I have some on hand. Usually, I don't.

I almost wish I would have made this today instead of my BTA (bacon, tomato, avocado) sandwich for dinner!

Meal Planning with Connie January 11, 2010 at 11:12 pm

My son loves tuna! His secret ingredient is a dash of Mrs. Dash!
I love to add a bit of lemon juice to mine!

Thanks for sharing! God bless!

Alisa January 11, 2010 at 11:50 pm

I love tuna salad sandwiches! I pretty much do the same except I use sweet relish and I've never added onion, lawry's or celery. I'll have to try that. Thanks!

sweetjeanette January 11, 2010 at 11:54 pm

hmmm.. never thought of onion flakes. I always (that is until the healthier side of me kicked in two years ago!) used sweet pickle relish. I just leave it out now, I guess I'll have to try the dill pickles! Thanks for the great options!

K @ Prudent and Practical January 12, 2010 at 1:38 am

Yum ~ I'll have to try your version out. It's like the gourmet version compared to mine, lol. I just do one can of tuna, some mayo, and relish/pickles, mixing up a consistency I'm in the mood for. Thanks for hosting!

Alexis AKA MOM January 12, 2010 at 1:58 am

What a classic yummy sandwich. I never thought of eggs in it! I'm going to have to try that! I'm sad to say we're very boring when it comes to egg sandwiches.

Apple … Hmmm I'm going to have to try that!

UKZoe January 12, 2010 at 5:06 am

if I need to chop hard boiled eggs rather than slice, I pop them in a bowl and use my pastry blender.

Pam, mom, honey, January 12, 2010 at 7:11 am

i do not like tuna salad but you have made me want to us egg salad. sounds like we are having a great lunch today

Joy January 12, 2010 at 7:27 am

Yum!! It's amazing how many different ways an inexpensive can of tuna can be used for "tuna salad"!! Thanks for hosting each week.
~ Joy 🙂

April@The 21st Century Housewife January 12, 2010 at 7:43 am

I have never had tuna salad with boiled eggs, but your recipe sounds delicious! My Mom always used to make tuna salad with lots of chopped celery and red pepper, so that is the recipe I have always used, but I'll definitely be giving yours a try!

phasejumper January 12, 2010 at 7:50 am

Oops. Accidentally linked mine twice. Sorry! For my tuna salad I only do tuna, miracle whip, chopped sweet pickles and hard boiled egg. No celery, fruit or relish for me!

Jen @ Passport to Savings and Food January 12, 2010 at 7:52 am

I put cut up green apples in mine. It gives it a sweet tang that I love.

Julie@comehaveapeace January 12, 2010 at 9:19 am

Sometimes the simplest things are the best. 🙂 I agree on the egg. Takes it to a whole new dish, and I really like a little sweet relish. 🙂

Steph January 12, 2010 at 9:22 am

Try garlic powder instead of onion powder sometime;-) Yummy!!!!

Smelling Coffee January 12, 2010 at 9:43 am

You almost exactly described how I make tuna salad! Makes me want some for lunch today. 🙂

Blessings~
Jennifer

Tammy January 12, 2010 at 9:46 am

I love good ole fashion tuna salad. I posted my version of sicilian tuna salad for those who like to try something different.

Myra January 12, 2010 at 10:02 am

This is going to sound REALLY weird! But my favorite tuna salad is like this:

-Tuna
-A spoonful of mayo
-A dash of lemon juice
-Halved Grape Tomatoes
-Chopped Green onions
-Salt and Pepper

It's SO good! Yum!

SarahHub January 12, 2010 at 10:02 am

Looks yummy! And I love apples in my tuna salad, too.

jsprik January 12, 2010 at 11:23 am

LOL, i had NO idea you posted this until i came to link up, i swear!!! LOL i guess great minds think alike!! 🙂 sry i have missed a couple tmtt's, i have been busy with camps and have been struggling with health issues as well, glad to be back, though!! 🙂

jsprik January 12, 2010 at 11:25 am

btw…i put onion, pickle, salt, pepper and mayo in mine!! sometimes egg, sometimes celery, but always onion and pickle!!!! 🙂

MonsterMama January 12, 2010 at 11:45 am

How funny, I just made a tuna sandwich for lunch. we do chopped boiled eggs,mayo,mustard,ch.onion, ch pickle,shredded lettuce,s+p, and garlic powder. I still have to have Cheetos though 🙂 Thanks for hosting!

Mrs. P. January 12, 2010 at 11:57 am

One of my very favorites…THE tuna sandwich. I'd prefer carrots instead of the cheetos 🙂

Thanks for hosting!

Blessings!
Gail

Nanna January 12, 2010 at 12:06 pm

now that made me hungry! LOL

Helen

Amanda from Faith, Food and Family January 12, 2010 at 12:27 pm

I love tuna salad! I usually eat mine on crackers instead of bread. I like to put in tuna, mayo, ranch dressing, relish (sweet and dill), cracked pepper and a little mustard.
God bless,
Amanda

Angela Pea January 12, 2010 at 4:15 pm

I LOVE tuna sandwiches! Tuna salad is the first thing I taught my kids how to make in the kitchen, because it didn't require knives or heat. (Little ones can "chop" eggs with a fork, you know!)

Thank You!

Thelittlebrownhouse.us January 12, 2010 at 4:17 pm

Love tuna salad! Thanks for hosting today,and stopping by my blog!

Carolyn @ My Backyard Eden January 12, 2010 at 4:33 pm

I've never tried it with hard boiled eggs. Looks like I'll have to give it a try!

Thanks for the linkup this week. I linked up a recipe for Tuscan Chicken Stew.

Stephanie January 12, 2010 at 5:42 pm

Love the egg slicer, I am definetly going to have to get me one of those!

Anonymous January 20, 2010 at 11:40 pm

[url=http://vioperdosas.net/][img]http://sapresodas.net/img-add/euro2.jpg[/img][/url]
[b]shop manager software, [url=http://vioperdosas.net/]power policies windows xp registry[/url]
[url=http://vioperdosas.net/]trial adobe photoshop cs3[/url] 7 DVD Ultimate Mac buy software uk
cheap xp pro software [url=http://sapresodas.net/]nero torrent[/url] microsoft software license
[url=http://vioperdosas.net/]website store software[/url] latest adobe software
[url=http://sapresodas.net/]best price adobe photoshop cs4 upgrade[/url] nero 9 torrents
buy a software [url=http://sapresodas.net/]autocad fonts[/url][/b]