I am glad you are joining us for Tempt My Tummy Tuesday, this week. Please be polite and follow the rules of a blog carnival, mentioning TMTT and linking back to this post from your blog post. Thanks.
I like the following recipe for several reasons. First, you cook the shrimp and broccoli in the oven, giving it a great roasted flavor. Second, it is quick and easy to make. Third, this recipe makes a large one-pot dish which can serve both family and unexpected guests.Finally, my daughter LOVES broccoli AND, with this recipe, she discovered she loves shrimp. I love expanding the food preferences of a 3 year old.
Fettuccine with Shrimp and Broccoli
(Adapted from an Ina Garten recipe found in House Beautiful magazine.)
- Kosher slat and freshly ground black pepper
- 8 cups broccoli florets (2 large heads)
- 1 pound (16 – 18 per pound) shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 pound fettuccine (I used whole wheat spaghetti)
- 8 large garlic cloves, cut into thin slivers
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese, plus extra for serving
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Bring a large pot of water to boil with 2 tbsp salt.
- Combine broccoli, 1/4 cup olive oil, 2 tsp salt, and 1/2 tsp pepper on sheet pan, spread out and roast for five minutes. Add the shrimp to the broccoli, toss well, and spread out in one layer. Roast the shrimp and broccoli for 8-10 minutes, until shrimp is cooked.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta in the pot of boiling water according to directions on package. Set aside 1 1/2 cup of cooking water before draining the pasta.
- Heat 1/3 cup olive oil over medium heat in a pot large enough to hold the pasta. Add the garlic and cook for one to two minutes, stirring frequently, until it just begins to turn golden on the edges. Add red pepper flakes and cook for 30 seconds more. Add reserved pasta cooking water to the garlic and oil and bring to a boil. Then lower heat, add 1 tsp salt, and simmer for about 5 minutes, until the liquid is reduced by about a third.
- Add the drained pasta to the garlic oil and toss. Off the heat, add the cooked shrimp and broccoli, plus the parsley and Parmesan, and toss well. Serve warm with extra Parmesan on the side.
Picture from istockphoto.com.
This post linked to Delicious Dishes at It’s a blog Party.