Tempt My Tummy Tuesday… Chewy Energy Bars

by Lisa on September 6, 2010

Tempt my Tummy Tuesday Well, y’all, I don’t know what I was thinking last week.  Between moving and everyone around me sick, I got confused on my weeks.  We are NOT beginning our new TMTT over At the Well this week.  We start our new journey with At The Well NEXT WEEK.  We will be At The Well, every 2nd Tuesday of the month.  Sorry for the confusion.  It has been another interesting week.  After Grace was finally better from her stomach flu – she became ill with a rather nasty virus.  (Yep, I am sure she acquired it at our church.  She had not been anywhere else. )  Anyway, she ran a high fever (102 -104) for 6 days.  Today is our first day with no fever.  We are thankful for this!  Needless to say, I think we need to work on building up our immune system at this house!  I admit, I am not someone familiar with pro-biotics, organic foods, etc.  You get the idea.  So, if any of you super smart and healthy moms want to weigh in on this subject, I would love to hear from you!

With that in mind, I found this recipe, yesterday while perusing through my latest purchase.  I rarely buy magazines from the check-out lane at the grocery store.  However, while waiting in line at Walmart, I saw the September issue of Taste of Home’s Simple & Delicious mag.  It stated, “Our Best 30-minues menus Every!”  Well, I wanted to check out those recipes!  There are many GREAT recipes.  I have already picked out several to try in the next two weeks.  Also in the magazine was a recipe for “Chewy Energy Bars”, page 47.  The recipe looks easy, tasty, and something my family would enjoy.  I like the recipe calls for toasted wheat germ, old-fashioned oats, and peanut butter.  All great ingredients.  I hope you enjoy.

I made the bars, this afternoon.  They are great!  Such a simple recipe.  These bars would be perfect to add to your child’s lunch box (unless there is a peanut or gluten allergy).

The Ingredients.

Toast the wheat germ, 5 - 10 minutes at 350 degrees. Stir frequently.

In large bowl, mix dry ingredients.

Melt PB, corn syrup, and brown sugar.

All melted and looking good!

In sauce pan, melt PB, corn syrup, and brown sugar.

Add vanilla to mix.

Pour PB mix into dry ingredients and stir well.

Spread, then let cool before cutting into bars.

Spread in 9x13 pan, then let cool.

Chewy Energy Bars. YUMMY!

Chewy Energy Bars

Ingredients:

• 2 1/2 cups crisp rice cereal
  • 2 cups old-fashioned oats
  • 1/4 cup toasted wheat germ
  • 1 cup corn syrup
  • 1 cup peanut butter
  • 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1 tsp. vanilla extract

In large bowl, combine cereal, oats, and toasted wheat germ.  (I did not have toasted wheat germ. So, I first toasted my wheat germ on large cookie sheet at 350 degrees for 5 minutes.)  In a small sauce pain, combine corn syrup, peanut butter, and brown sugar.  Cook over medium heat until peanut butter melted.  Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.  Pour over ceraal mixture; mix well.

Pour into greased 9 inch square pan (I used a 9×13 pan and it was just fine.)  Gently press cereal mixture evenly into pan.  Cool completely. Cut into bars.

REMEMBER, NEXT WEEK WE MEET AT THE WELL.  I will remind you – promise.
Now, don’t forget to share some healthy ideas for me and the family. :-)

jen September 6, 2010 at 7:39 pm

Thanks for hosting! The energy bars look great. Anything with peanut butter gets my attention! I’ll be trying these soon.

Jackie September 6, 2010 at 7:41 pm

Those sound tasty!

Deanna September 6, 2010 at 7:43 pm

First, your new blog design looks delightful! I just love it!

Secondly, it has been so long since I have had a spare minute to blog on my recipe blog that I haven’t been able to be a part of the TMTT. I didn’t even realize you were moving it to another host spot.

Thirdly, I am definitely going to be trying the energy bars. It looks like something great to have on hand for snacks for the boys.

Lisa September 6, 2010 at 7:56 pm

Hey, Deanna. So glad you are joining up, this week. We will be at the At The Well blog on the 2nd Tuesday of each month. All other Tuesdays will be back at my site. So, you can find TMTT at both spots. Just something new. I think it will be neat to expose other bloggers to At The Well site.

Julie@comehaveapeace September 6, 2010 at 8:00 pm

So sorry for the sickness cycle at your house. :( This recipe looks great and I’ll definitely try it. Will be back tomorrow to post my link for my recipe for Lazy Lasagna. :)

Carolyn Mom September 6, 2010 at 8:28 pm

These energy bars look and sound really good! I would like to know calorie count, fiber count, and fat content so I can see how many points for WW they are. Would that be possible?

Debbie September 6, 2010 at 9:14 pm

I Think these are right up my alley!! YUM !!

NancyC September 6, 2010 at 9:14 pm

Those energy bars look yummy! It never hurts to build up your immune system too! :)

Melissa September 6, 2010 at 10:25 pm

I was looking for a granola bar for my son to take to school. I think these will work perfectly! Thanks!

Sherry September 6, 2010 at 10:33 pm

Glad to hear Grace is ok. How scary! :(

Those bars sound so simple and yummy, too! I’d love to try them with honey. :)

Melodie September 6, 2010 at 10:48 pm

I might forego the corn syrup and cut back on the sugar (because that’s just me) but otherwise these look really nice. I wonder what I could use instead to make them stick together! Ugh! Always the hard one for me. Thanks for hosting!

Brenda September 6, 2010 at 10:49 pm

These look like they would make a good breakfast bar too. You can’t go wrong with those taste of home magazines, there are always so many yummy recipes!

I think your button turned out funny on my blog again, take a look and see what you think.

ginger @ crock pot recipe exchange September 7, 2010 at 12:24 am

I’m always looking for a good, healthy energy bar… Thanks for hosting and posting!

Alexis AKA MOM September 7, 2010 at 12:36 am

Oh yum these would be a HUGE hit with the boys!

Myrtle September 7, 2010 at 1:06 am

OM goodness! If my son did not have a peanut allergy these would be a regular at our house. I wonder if I could use soy nut butter instead. I am still going to save it and try it with that. Oh my love that combination of ingredients!

Alea September 7, 2010 at 2:00 am

Your granola bars look fantastic! I am going to try making these for my husband.

April @ The 21st Century Housewife September 7, 2010 at 3:33 am

So glad to hear that Grace is finally feeling a bit better!

Your energy bars look delicious as well as healthy – thanks for sharing them, and for hosting. Look forward to seeing you At The Well next week!

Concetta @ Concetta's Cafe September 7, 2010 at 4:22 am

Thank you for sharing such a wonderful and healthful recipe – I can’t wait to try them!

Ashlie September 7, 2010 at 4:31 am

I’m not a mom, but I do know a fair amount about probiotics. I take them daily and eat probiotic rich foods on a regular basis – I can’t remember the last time I was sick (knock on wood)! For kids they sell various chewable probiotic tablets and powdered mixes (both should be available at a health foods store, if not they are certainly available online). From what I’ve read, it is best to get a probiotic with the highest possible count of live organisms and as many different types of cultures as possible. Yogurt is also a great widely available option. My favorite brand of yogurt is Stonyfield Farms, which is organic and has the most wonderful taste. They have a whole line of products for kids. Other foods such as kimchi and saurkraut are probiotic rich, but probably not that appealing to kiddos :).

Lisa September 7, 2010 at 1:53 pm

Thanks so much for all the great info! I will be looking further into the probiotic route, for sure!

Felicia September 7, 2010 at 7:03 am

Those look fantastic!

Going Jane September 7, 2010 at 7:51 am

Thanks for hosting again! :)

Kim September 7, 2010 at 7:58 am

Thanks for hosting. Your bars look easy. May have to try them. Espeically if I can get some energy!

Jane September 7, 2010 at 8:48 am

These look and sound yummy! Thanks for hosting today.

ASK September 7, 2010 at 9:04 am

Hi!

Sounds yummy! I am new to blogging but so far it has been a lot of fun!

Kristia@FamilyBalanceSheet September 7, 2010 at 9:33 am

Those bars look yummy and a handy snack when out and about running errands.

Thanks for the carnival.

Lamb September 7, 2010 at 9:47 am

I made something similar to these a few weeks ago, but without rice cereal and with dried fruit. Aren’t they delicious? :)

City Share September 7, 2010 at 10:34 am

Thanks for hosting. Those granola bars looks delicious. My husband would go nuts for those – he love anything with peanut butter. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

gnee September 7, 2010 at 11:37 am

Hi Lisa!

Lots of yummy ideas, especially your bars! Thanks for having us over.

the Blah Blah Blahger September 7, 2010 at 12:26 pm

My first time here, but I love what you’ve got goin on, so I’ll be back!

Lisa September 8, 2010 at 6:28 pm

So glad you came by for TMTT. :-)

Dorcas September 7, 2010 at 1:06 pm

these look great. I allergic to nuts but I can make these for the hubs and kiddos. thanks for sharing!
~Dorcas

Alex aka Ma what's For Dinner September 7, 2010 at 1:10 pm

Thanks for hosting…yours looks delish! Great idea for the start of the school year.

Lots of yummy love,
Alex aka Ma What’s For Dinner

Tiffanee September 7, 2010 at 1:59 pm

I have been wanting to make granola bars forever. Thanks for a great recipe with excellant details. Good luck with the move.

Chrissy September 7, 2010 at 3:17 pm

Yum! I’m going to have to try and make those! Looks like a great food item to take on a family hike! Thanks!

Michelle September 7, 2010 at 3:38 pm

That’s too funny that you put these up today. I was trying to find something different to do for breakfast and made breakfast cookies (see my entry), but I think next time around, I’ll make these ones. Yum – and thanks!

CreativelyMelissa September 7, 2010 at 4:51 pm

Those look so good…only I can’t have ‘em. Stupid wheat allergy. Boo.

Christi at A Southern Life September 8, 2010 at 7:17 am

Energy bars! Just what I need this week and these sound really yummy! I’ll definitely have to try these :)

Christi

FoodontheTable September 8, 2010 at 4:36 pm

This recipe looks great! It was definitely worth the magazine purchase. The wheat germ and peanut butter make it pretty nutritious!

DrKim September 15, 2010 at 8:49 am

The bars do look delicious….but if you want to help the immune system, you need to stay away from processed sugars, like corn syrup and brown sugar. To make something like this sweet, I’d use some already sweet dried fruit–raisins, maybe some chopped dates. And if that’s not enough, some honey (preferably raw) will do the trick. If you want the brown sugar taste, you can add some molasses (brown sugar is just white sugar with molasses added.). And for protein packed nuts, you can use real (raw) nuts like almonds, brazil nuts, walnuts, etc. They still have lots of goodness in them. Unfortunately, peanuts are not “real”nuts, and once they are made into peanut butter, they have little nutrition left.

Your blog seems great; I’m glad I found it! Hope we can be in touch.

I hope you are not offended….you asked for advice to make healthier meals, etc. I love to help people learn how to do just that.

(I wrote a post on corn syrup; you can check it out here http://familynatural.com/2010/03/17/a-not-so-sweet-surprise/)

Lisa September 15, 2010 at 3:09 pm

Thank you for your input. I am really new at looking at things in a more healthful manner, I appreciate your advice. :-)

Umm Mymoonah September 21, 2010 at 2:40 pm

hi, I have linked mine, hope it suits your event.