I know we all have a “go to” recipe for banana bread. I have one, myself. However, it is always nice to try a new recipe, especially if it is a little healthier for you. As many of you know, I am working toward a more healthy lifestyle, including healthier eating habits, and working out with a trainer, several times a week. I am starting to see results, and it is exciting! So, for that reason, I thought I would share this new version of an old classic.
Basic Banana Bread
- 1 1/2 cup mashed ripe bananas
- 1/3 cup plain fat-free yogurt
- 5 Tbsp butter, melted
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 6.75 oz all- purpose flour (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1/4 cup ground flaxseed (You can find it on the baking aisle – look for “whole ground flaxseed” or “flaxseed meal”.)
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp ground allspice
- cooking spray
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp 1% low-fat milk
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Combine first 4 ingredients in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed. Add granulated and brown sugars; beat until combined.
- Weigh or lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour and next 5 ingredients (through ground allspice). Add flour mixture to banana mixture; beat just until blended.
- Pour batter into a 9×5-inch loaf pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350 for 55 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted into center comes out clean. Remove from oven; cool 10 minutes in pan on a wire rack. Remove bread from pan; cool completely. Combine powdered sugar and milk, stirring until smooth; drizzle over bread. Yield: 16 servings (serving size: 1 slice).
For those interested:
Calories 167; Fat 5/1 g;Protien 2.9 g; Carb 28.3g; Fiber 1.5 g; Chol 32 mg; Iron 1mg; Sodium 173 mg; Calc 24 mg (Nutritional information and recipe from Cooking Light magazine, October 2010 issue.)
Do you have a healthier version of an old classic? I would love to hear about it. And, as always, thank you for participating in Tempt My Tummy Tuesday.