Tempt My Tummy Tuesday…Recipes perfect for gift giving!

by Lisa on December 6, 2010

It is that time of year… you are making mental, and possibly physical, lists of people to whom you want to give gifts – the neighbors, school teachers,  Sunday School teacher, maybe the women in your bible study group.  Right?  Or is it just me?  I want to do something special, but need simple and tasty ideas.  Today I will share a few recipes, perfect for these type of gifts.  I hope you find the recipes helpful and maybe you will use one when making your Christmas goodies to share.  :-)

Make those nuts something extra special!

Roasted Spice Almonds

• 4 cups w hole un-blanched almonds or mixed nuts
  • 1 egg white
  • 1 tsp water
  • 1/3 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
  • 2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  1. Preheat oven 350.  Spread nuts in a single layer in a shallow baking pan.  Bake for 10 minutes.  cool on a wire rack for 30 minutes. Reduce oven temp to 325.  Grease a 15x10x1 inch baking pan; set aside.
  2. In a bowl, whisk together egg white and sugar, brown sugar, pumpkin pie spice, and salt.  Stir in cooled nuts.  Spread nuts in a single layer in the prepared pan.
  3. Bake about 20 minutes or until nuts appear dry, stirring once halfway through baking.  Transfer nuts to waxed paper, separating into individual pieces or small clusters; cool completely.  Dive nuts among clear gift bags.  Tie bags closed with string and place in tins.  Makes 5 1/2 cups.

Curried Cashews

• 3 cups raw cashews (about 1 pound)
  • 3 tbsp packed brown sugar
  • 2 tsp kosher salt
  • 2 tsp curry powder
  • 1/2 tsp ground cumin
  • 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 1 tbsp butter
  1. Preheat oven to 350. Line a 15x10x1 inch baking pan with parchment paper or foil.  Spread cashews in an even layer in the prepared baking pan.  Bake about 10 minutes or until lightly browned.
  2. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine 2 tbsp of the brown sugar, the salt, curry powder, cumin, and cayenne pepper; set aside.
  3. In large saucepan, combine water, butter, and the remaining 1 tbsp brown sugar.  Bring to boil, stirring constantly.  Add cashews, stirring to coat.  Cook and stir about 2 minutes or until liquid is evaporated.  Remove from heat.  Add curry mixture/ toss gently to coat.
  4. Spread nuts in an even layer in the same baking pan.  Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until golden brown, stirring once.  Cool in pan on a wire rack.  Makes 3 cups.

Christmas Crunch

• 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
  • 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
  • 8 cups bite-size corn or rice square cereal
  • 1 cup white baking pieces
  • 1/4 cup butter, cut up
  • 1/2 cup cashew butter or smooth peanut butter
  • 1/4 tsp vanilla
  • 1 1/2 cup lightly salted cashews
  • 1 1/3 cup dried cherries or cranberries and / or chopped dried apricots (about 6 oz)
  1. In very large plastic bag,combine powdered sugar and nutmeg; set aside. Place cereal in a very large bowl; set aside.
  2. In a medium saucepan, combine white baking pieces, cashew butter, and butter.  Stir over low heat until baking pieces and butter are melted.  Remove from heat.  Stir in vanilla.
  3. Pour butter mixture over cereal; carefully stir until cereal is evenly coated.  Cool slightly.  Add nuts and fruit.  Shake just until combines.  Pour into shallow waxed paper-lined baking pan to cool.  Spoon into containers for gift giving.   Makes about 14 cups.

Chocolate- Peanut Holiday Crunch

Prepare as above, except substitute 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder for the nutmeg, peanuts for the cashews, dried fruit bits for the dried cherries, and peanut butter for the cashew butter.

Looking forward to see what you are cooking up during this season of joy and light!

Lisa December 6, 2010 at 7:46 pm

These nut recipes look great! I will be making some for Christmas gifts this year. Thanks!

Jerri December 6, 2010 at 7:46 pm

Great recipes! I’d love to try the Christmas crunch! Thanks for hosting!

Kim @ Quit Eating Out {Recipes to Make Dining Out A Choice, Not A Chore} December 6, 2010 at 8:17 pm

Thanks so much for hosting us here. Always look forward to so many great new recipes to try. Your recipes for the spiced nuts sounds wonderful… I made my first batch for Thanksgiving to have out for folks to nibble and they were gone in a flash. Anxious to try your recipe!

Debbi Does Dinner Healthy December 6, 2010 at 8:24 pm

The nuts look wonderful! Thanks for the recipe!

Sherry December 6, 2010 at 8:30 pm

I love making up a bunch of goodies to give at CHRISTmas! :) Thank you so much for hosting this each week. I posted a CHRISTmas mix, too. :)

Nancy's Daily Dish December 6, 2010 at 8:32 pm

I love nuts like this but I’ve never made them with the Pumpkin Pie Spice. That sounds sooooo yummy! I think I’ve got some almonds and I may make a batch tonight.
I’m craving this now.

Thanks for a great recipe,

Nancy

Gretchen December 6, 2010 at 9:21 pm

Love these recipes – thank you for sharing just in time for some Christmas parties coming up this weekend.

Liz@HoosierHomemade December 6, 2010 at 9:22 pm

Such great ideas! My hubby would love these!
Thanks for hosting Lisa!
~Liz

Jill @ The Prairie Homestead December 6, 2010 at 11:20 pm

Wow! This is my first time linking up- so many yummy entries! Thanks for hosting!

Kara @ Home With Purpose December 7, 2010 at 12:01 am

Oh…these look great! I love snack-y type recipes like this!

alex at a moderate life December 7, 2010 at 12:29 am

Hi Lisa, What lovely holiday gifts you have made! I really love giving things from the kitchen! I am linking up a great way to use up leftover holiday stuffing by making “meatballs” out of it! All the best, Alex@amoderatelife

Chrissy December 7, 2010 at 12:39 am

Lisa, these look great! I have a party coming up in which everyone is to bring an appetizer, and the winner gets a prize. Any suggestions for award winning appetizers?

e-Mom December 7, 2010 at 3:09 am

Your nut mixtures look wonderful! Thanks for the reminder. I’ve given similar gifts in the past. Time to do it again!

Concetta December 7, 2010 at 4:51 am

Thank you for alll the great holiday ideas!
< Connie

Miz Helen December 7, 2010 at 7:49 am

Lisa,
I hope I’m on your gift list. I love getting wonderful gifts from the kitchen and the heart. Thank you for sharing and thank you for hosting. You have a great week!

Lisa December 7, 2010 at 8:26 am

Looks like another great collection of recipes. Wish I had more hours in the day!!!! Thanks for hosting this great gathering!

Lisa

Carol@easytobeglutenfree December 7, 2010 at 8:46 am

I love giving food gifts for Christmas. Thanks for giving me some new ideas. And thanks for hosting the swap.

Amanda December 7, 2010 at 9:45 am

These nuts look so yummy! Thanks for hosting!

Carmie of the Single Nester December 7, 2010 at 9:58 am

I’m always looking for a nut recipe! Can’t wait to try these.

Jane December 7, 2010 at 10:44 am

These sound yummy! My husband loves anything with nuts, so he would love these.

Thanks for sharing and for hosting today.

Jane
frugalfineliving.com

Michelle December 7, 2010 at 1:50 pm

Oh how fun! I am making all my presents for teachers, etc this year, too. The recipe I’m using is what I posted this week. I keep forgetting how easy truffles are to make – and so special and yummy! :) These are a great addition, too. I may do some mixes, I think.

Janice December 7, 2010 at 2:46 pm

I just love your recipes. They make the greatest gifts and they are also great to put out at your Christmas party. I work with Better Recipes and for more great Christmas Recipes, check out Christmas Recipes

Elsa December 7, 2010 at 7:46 pm

I’ve never heard of this, but I love curry so I will give this a shot. Thanks for hosting!

Queen of the House December 10, 2010 at 1:37 pm

Thanks for the great gift giving ideas! :)