Tempt My Tummy Tuesday… Meatloaf with Shredded Vegetables

by Lisa on January 31, 2011

I have been craving comfort food, and one food in particular – my friend’s meatloaf.  She makes hers with a healthier kick, using lots of shredded vegetables.   I had never tried meatloaf with the veggies in it  until I tried her.  I loved it.  So, if you are a meatloaf traditionalist, maybe you will consider trying something new when next preparing your meatloaf.

Meatloaf with shredded vegetables.

Meatloaf with Shredded Vegetables

• 1 lb lean ground hamburger meat
  • 2 slices bread, torn into small pieces
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 1/2 cup finely shredded carrots
  • 4 Tbsp finely chopped onion
  • 4 Tbsp finely chopped green pepper
  • 4 Tbsp finely chopped celery
  • 1 tsp salt
  • dash of pepper and garlic powder
  • 1/4 cup ketchup, divided

Directions:

1. In a large bowl, combine ground beef, bread, egg, carrots, onion, green pepper, celery, seasonings, and half of the ketchup.
  2. Form into a loaf in an un-greased loaf pan.   Spoon remaining ketchup over loaf.  Bake uncovered, at 350, for one hour, or until meat is no longer pink.

Another idea: When in season, you can use shredded summer squash and or zucchini.  I know there are SO many yummy meatloaf recipes.  I just wanted to share one that was new to me.  Hope you enjoy.

Living So Abundantly January 31, 2011 at 7:44 pm

That is the first time I’ve heard of using shredded carrots in meatloaf. I am definitely going to have to try that! Thank you for the inspiration! :)

Julie@comehaveapeace January 31, 2011 at 8:20 pm

I love the idea of using carrots in the meatloaf … why didn’t I ever think of that?

Jennifer January 31, 2011 at 8:47 pm

I love comfort food too. I’m planning meatload for one night next week. It is actually one of the dishes my 7 year old requests! Thanks for sharing your recipe and for hosting this party.
Jenn

leontien January 31, 2011 at 8:57 pm

We never really eat any meatloaf in The Netherlands and i don’t think i have eaten any good meatloaf here yet… so maybe i have to try to make this dish and maybe i will fall in love!

Thanks
Leontien

Lisa January 31, 2011 at 9:03 pm

This is the PERFECT recipe that I need right now. Thank you! I’m starting a healthier eating plan and I’m going to add this to my menu plan. I love the idea of the shredded veggies in it. Awesome.

Brandie@thecountrycook January 31, 2011 at 9:07 pm

I love meatloaf. It is completely underrated! This one sounds great!! And thank you so much for hosting this link up party as well!! :)

angie January 31, 2011 at 9:52 pm

love finding ways to add veggies to the meal I have some who would never touch a veggie if they knew what they were eating thanks

alex at a moderate life February 1, 2011 at 12:31 am

Hi Lisa! I do love trying different meatloaf recipes and I especially love it when I can HIDE veggies in a recipe because one of my daughters is NOT a fan! Lovely! I am linking up a lovely chicken paprikash that is perfect for cold winter nights! All the best! Alex

Wendy (The Local Cook) February 1, 2011 at 12:51 am

another fan of using vegetables in everything :-)

April @ The 21st Century Housewife February 1, 2011 at 3:29 am

I love the idea of the shredded veggies in the meatloaf. It sounds wonderful! Thank you for hosting, Lisa!

Sherry February 1, 2011 at 6:53 am

I bet you can’t even tell that there are veggies in it. I sometimes shred carrots and hide in spaghetti sauce, but I havent ever tried in meatloaf. Great idea! :)

Thank you for hosting this each week, Lisa! :)

Cheryl B. February 1, 2011 at 8:02 am

Hi Lisa :-}
My husband refers to things such as you adding shredded veggies to your meat loaf as “getting sneaky” ;-p A friend of ours adds shredded veggies and oatmeal to her sloppy joe’s.

I found it rather humorous that you talked about “comfort foods” this week, seeings how I was linking up the homemade hot chocolate pudding which I tihnk of as a comfort food for COLD winter nights. ;-)

Hope your week flows rather smoothly

SmellingCoffee February 1, 2011 at 8:54 am

You are making me hungry!!! I’ve missed being a part of Tempt My Tummy and am looking forward to coming back to soak in all of these wonderful recipes. :-)

Blessings to you~
Jennifer

Inspired2cook February 1, 2011 at 8:58 am

Meatloaf and mashed potatoes…you gotta love classic comfort food!

Helen February 1, 2011 at 9:00 am

comfort food is alwasy good, helthy is even better, our taste buds may rebell but will accept it if we give it a chance lol

Lisa @ HappyinDoleValley February 1, 2011 at 10:16 am

I have a good friend who makes a similar meatloaf, and it’s not only delicious, but also nutritious! Thanks for sharing and thanks for hosting. So many good recipes to try this time. :) Blessings!

Jane February 1, 2011 at 3:14 pm

I never tried carrots in my meatloaf. I’ve got to try that! Thanks for hosting this linky! :)

Candace February 1, 2011 at 3:38 pm

I love how you’ve used the veggies in the meatloaf. What a great idea! I’ve been craving meatloaf lately so I need to give that a try soon. Thanks so much for hosting. I’ve linked up my banana muffins this week.

Winelady Cooks February 1, 2011 at 3:43 pm

I’ve used shredded carrots in my meatloaf and hubby loves it. It makes a very moist meatloaf and the carrots keep it moist for the leftovers.

Thanks for hosting and sharing your recipe. There are lots of great recipes this week.

jo@blog-diggidy February 1, 2011 at 5:11 pm

sneeky!! nice way to get those veggies in for those picky eaters! thankfully i don’t have any picky eaters at my house!! but this sounds good, just the same!! =) thnx!

kidswonderart February 1, 2011 at 5:22 pm

Meat loaf is one of my very favorite dishes. I’ll have to try your recipe.

Thanks for hosting,

Jane February 1, 2011 at 6:23 pm

Love this recipe! It’s a great way to get kids to eat veggies without them even knowing it. I also used to add shredded carrots to mine when the kids were little.

Thanks for hosting today!

Jane
frugalfineliving.com

Michelle February 1, 2011 at 9:03 pm

Wait, what happened to Mr. Linky? I was so excited to actually have a really appetizing picture to share this week :) On that note, I highly recommend my vegan chocolate cupcakes that are actually the best ANY kind of cupcakes I’ve ever made. And I don’t even like chocolate cake! (http://honestandtruly.blogspot.com/2011/02/chocolate-cinnamon-cupcakes-tasty.html)

I love how you’re sneaking veggies into your food with the meatloaf here. I really love the additional flavor that carrots add to various dishes. I just need to remember to use them more!

Lisa February 5, 2011 at 8:54 am

Hey girl. Did My. Linky go away? I know it has about a week then closes. I’ll check on that.

Kankana February 2, 2011 at 1:34 am

wow you have 143 entrees !!! First time in your blog and linked one of my very simple dish. Will visit tomorrow again.

Lisa February 5, 2011 at 8:55 am

Glad you could join us and welcome to my blog. There are always tons of great recipes shared. I get great ideas from everyone. Hope you find something tempting. :-)

grace February 2, 2011 at 9:10 am

We love meat loaf and I always bake potatoes when making it. the next day we have home made hash . Fantastic.
Interesting putting veggies in the meat loaf. thanks for the recipe linky party