I have been craving comfort food, and one food in particular – my friend’s meatloaf. She makes hers with a healthier kick, using lots of shredded vegetables. I had never tried meatloaf with the veggies in it until I tried her. I loved it. So, if you are a meatloaf traditionalist, maybe you will consider trying something new when next preparing your meatloaf.
Meatloaf with Shredded Vegetables
- 1 lb lean ground hamburger meat
- 2 slices bread, torn into small pieces
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup finely shredded carrots
- 4 Tbsp finely chopped onion
- 4 Tbsp finely chopped green pepper
- 4 Tbsp finely chopped celery
- 1 tsp salt
- dash of pepper and garlic powder
- 1/4 cup ketchup, divided
- In a large bowl, combine ground beef, bread, egg, carrots, onion, green pepper, celery, seasonings, and half of the ketchup.
- Form into a loaf in an un-greased loaf pan. Spoon remaining ketchup over loaf. Bake uncovered, at 350, for one hour, or until meat is no longer pink.
Another idea: When in season, you can use shredded summer squash and or zucchini. I know there are SO many yummy meatloaf recipes. I just wanted to share one that was new to me. Hope you enjoy.