Tempt My Tummy Tuesday…Oatmeal Muffins

by Lisa on January 3, 2011

About seven years ago, my husband planned a weekend getaway to a wonderful bed and breakfast for us.   The Old Mulberry Inn Bed and Breakfast is still open for business in historic Jefferson, Texas.  One highlight was the wonderful food, and before leaving I purchased their cookbook.  It is a collection of their fifty favorite B&B recipes.  Today I thought I would share their Oatmeal Muffins. (If you ever want to visit historic Jefferson, Texas, make sure you stay at the Old Mulberry Inn.  It was wonderful!)

Oatmeal Muffins

• 1 c. flour
  • 1/4 c. sugar
  • 1 c. oats, quick or old-fashioned, uncooked
  • 1 T. baking powder
  • 1/2 t. salt
  • 3 T. vegetable oil
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 1 c. nonfat milk

Sift into bowl: flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar.  Stir in the oats.  Add vegetable oil, beaten egg, and nonfat milk.  Stir only until dry ingredients are just moistened.  Fill greased, medium-sized muffin cups 2/3 full.  Bake at 425 for about 15 minutes.  Serve hot.  Makes a dozen.

Variation:  Add 1/2 c. raisins, chopped dates or nutmeats with the oats.

(When making these muffins, today, I added Craisins instead of raisins, and left out the nuts due to my 3 year old prefering no nuts.)

Jen January 3, 2011 at 7:40 pm

I LOVE oatmeal muffins! Thanks for sharing the recipe and the link up!

Liz@HoosierHomemade January 3, 2011 at 7:42 pm

WooHoo I’m first!! I don’t think I’ve ever been first! :-)
Your muffins recipe sounds yummy! I love adding Craisins to muffins.
Thanks for hosting my friend!
~Liz

Lisa January 3, 2011 at 7:48 pm

Thanks Liz. Good job for linking up first! :-)

Tracey January 3, 2011 at 8:14 pm

I’m always looking for new muffin recipes and these sound super!!

Robbie @ Going Green Mama January 3, 2011 at 8:34 pm

OK I don’t have an image, so the linking tool is freaking out, but I’ve linked my site to a FABULOUS chicken wing dish my mother in law makes for new Year’s.

Brook January 3, 2011 at 8:41 pm

I’m not sure if my oatmeal muffin recipe is exactly the same, but pretty darn close and they are so good!

Lisa January 4, 2011 at 12:18 pm

Hi Brook. Hope you are well. :-) Happy New Year!

Christi at A Southern Life January 3, 2011 at 9:07 pm

Sounds yummy and healthy! Can’t beat that :)

Lisa January 3, 2011 at 9:19 pm

I’m an oatmeal fanatic! I must give these a try! Thanks for hosting!

Rachelle @ Mommy? I'm Hungry! January 3, 2011 at 9:46 pm

I love making muffins, I’ll have to save this one!

I am sharing some homemade buttermilk dinner rolls, they are my FAVE and I make them for every special dinner/holiday!

(ps. I’ve also started a Flavorful Friday, please stop by and share a dish! http://mommyimhungry.blogspot.com/search/label/Flavorful%20Fridays )

April @ The 21st Century Housewife January 4, 2011 at 1:45 am

Happy New Year, Lisa! Your oatmeal muffins look delicious, and the Old Mulberry Inn Bed and Breakfast looks so quaint! I hope to visit one day. Thank you so much for hosting Tempt My Tummy Tuesday.

e-Mom January 4, 2011 at 2:35 am

Happy New Year, Lisa! I love oatmeal muffins (and anything with oatmeal in it). These look very good.

Lana January 4, 2011 at 6:07 am

Yum-o! I’m such a muffin lover. Thanks for sharing. :) Lana

Julie January 4, 2011 at 6:16 am

Thanks for hosting. Happy New Year!

Ott, A January 4, 2011 at 7:15 am

Happy New Year! Thanks for hosting again this week, I was glad to have a place to show off my apple ‘n’ pear cobbler. I also wanted to invite you to check out a new linky party I am hosting on my blog this year; “Ott, A’s Iron Chef Challenge.” Each month will have a themed ingredient where bloggers can link up any recipe that uses that ingredient. I will then have a guest judge look over the linked up posts and give away some fabulous prizes to the winner. January’s theme is Duck. Hope you can join in the fun!!! http://ow.ly/3xHEX

Liz January 4, 2011 at 8:24 am

Thanks for hosting! Yummy muffins!

Queen of the House January 4, 2011 at 8:34 am

Bed and Breakfasts are so wonderful! It’s been way too long since we have been to one though!!!! :) Maybe 2011 is the year to go again!

Gail@FaithfulnessFarm January 4, 2011 at 8:35 am

Oh, how we LOVE muffins at our house! These look especially GREAT!!

Thanks for posting and thanks for hosting :)

Blessings!
Gail

Louanne January 4, 2011 at 8:53 am

Happy New Year! Oh, man, I love oatmeal muffins, and I’m always looking for a new recipe. These look terrific, and I can’t wait to make them for Saturday’s breakfast!

Michelle January 4, 2011 at 10:38 am

Ooo yum! I would definitely add the raisins or craisins or cherries but mmmm! That sounds awesome.

Crystal@MrsHappyHomemaker January 4, 2011 at 10:52 am

My children & I love muffins, but have never tried Oatmeal ones – so I must give these a try. Thank you for sharing the recipe for them, and for hosting the carnival! :)

Fire-Eyes January 4, 2011 at 2:51 pm

Oatmeal Muffins sound great! I will have to try this gluten free….thanks for the idea! And Thank you for the link up too.

Katerina January 4, 2011 at 3:38 pm

Hi Lisa, first time at your beautiful blog. Your muffins look healthy and delicious! Thanks for the round up.

Lisa January 4, 2011 at 6:23 pm

Thanks for stopping by!

Dorothy January 4, 2011 at 8:42 pm

Lisa the muffins sound great. We love muffins and these don’t have a lot of sugar which we sure need to cut at our house : )
Hugs,
Dorothy in Arizona

Brandi January 5, 2011 at 9:17 am

I love muffins! I just so happen to have all the ingredients on hand so I will definitely be making these soon. Thanks for sharing and hosting the link party!

Lisa January 6, 2011 at 1:13 pm

I love recipes that are easy yet come out so delicious. Your oatmeal muffins certainly fit the bill.

alex at a moderatelife January 6, 2011 at 3:49 pm

Hi lisa, happy new year! Thanks for hosting. Linking up my new feature, baby steps to a rockin life and I hope more folks will join us in the baby steps Slow-vo-lution. The slow lane will get you there, and you will certainly enjoy the scenery more! All the best, Alex