Tempt My Tummy Tuesday.. Swedish-Style Turkey Meatballs

by Lisa on January 17, 2011

Okay, I know Swedish Meatballs are not considered “healthy” food.  How about if we try to lighten them up a bit by using ground turkey? Then, we won’t feel quite so bad for enjoying this tasty comfort food.

• 1 medium onion, finely chopped
  • 2 slices day-old french bread , finely chopped (1/2 cup fresh bread crumbs)
  • 1 lb lean ground turkey
  • 1 egg, lightly beaten
  • 1/2 tsp allspice
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp coarsely ground black pepper
  • 2 tsp vegetable oil
  • 3 tbsp all-purpose flour
  • 2 tbsp butter
  • 1 can beef broth ( 14 oz)
  • 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
  1. Combine onion, bread crumbs, turkey, egg, allspice, salt, and pepper in large bowl; mix gently by thoroughly. (Your hands work well for this.)
  2. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat 1-3 minutes or until shimmering.  Form turkey mixture into 20 meatballs.  Place meatballs in skillet; cook 6-8 minutes or until browned, turning once.  Remove from skillet; set aside.
  3. (The Sauce)  Add flour and butter to skillet, whisking to form a smooth paste.  Slowly add broth and and cream, stirring constantly; cook 1-2 minutes or until sauce comes to a simmer.  Return meatballs to skillet; cook, covered, 4-5 minutes or until meatballs are no longer pink in centers.

What is cooking at your home? Link up your recipe and thanks for joining our Tempt My Tummy Tuesday community!

(photo credit:  istockphoto.com)

bj January 17, 2011 at 7:52 pm

Your meatballs look delicious. I can’t seem to wrap my self around turkey but….I am trying. :))
Thanks for hosting

Christi @ A Southern Life January 17, 2011 at 8:34 pm

Sounds yummy. Ground turkey sounds like a great light alternative to beef. Will have to try it!

Christi @ A Southern Life

NancyC January 17, 2011 at 9:39 pm

Those look so good! I like the idea of lightening the meatballs up by using turkey, too! :)

Debbi Does Dinner Healthy January 17, 2011 at 9:58 pm

Looks awesome! I love any kind of meatballs! THey are so cute, thanks!

Miz Helen January 17, 2011 at 10:47 pm

Your Turkey Swedish Meatballs look very good. Thank you for sharing your recipe and thank you for hosting us today. I would like to invite you to bring a dish to my Full Plate Thursday for food and fellowship. Hope you have a great week end!

Georgia January 17, 2011 at 10:59 pm

Yumm-o!

Domestic Nerd January 17, 2011 at 11:05 pm

Yumm! Swedish meatballs are one of my favorite splurges! I will have to try your recipe soon!

Candace January 18, 2011 at 1:57 am

Swedish Meatballs is one my most favorite meals. I’ve never tried to make them though. I love that you have lightened them up with turkey. I’m saving this recipe to try soon. Thanks so much for hosting! I’ve linked up for the first time and look forward to more wonderful new recipes. Have a great Tuesday, Candace

April @ The 21st Century Housewife January 18, 2011 at 2:41 am

I love how you have made this classic so much healthier, Lisa and it sounds delicious! I’ve linked up my Healthier Sweet and Sour Chicken recipe. Thank you for hosting!

amy January 18, 2011 at 2:42 am

Just found your blog and joined the linky party! This is fun!

I’m having the very first GIVEAWAY on my blog. Please stop by to submit an entry. Best of luck!

Liz@HoosierHomemade January 18, 2011 at 6:35 am

My hubby loves Swedish Meatballs, making them with turkey is a great idea.
Thanks for hosting Lisa!
~Liz

Lisa@HappyinDoleValley January 18, 2011 at 8:44 am

For a healthy meatball without having to go “turkey,” try using grass-fed ground beef! Thanks for hosting — so many great looking recipes to try!

Cheryl B. January 18, 2011 at 10:01 am

Hi Lisa :-)
My MIL uses a mixture of the french bread and pumpernickel bread in her Swedish Meatballs (I can’t say their name with out thinking of the Swedish Chef on The Muppets o;-p). The flavor difference is wonderful!

Helen January 18, 2011 at 10:49 am

oh my word! I wantta make some of those LOL

grace January 18, 2011 at 11:32 am

thanks for hosting the party. Those meat balls look fantastic.

Pattie @ Olla-Podrida January 18, 2011 at 11:39 am

I love all kinds of meatballs, but this recipe is new to me. Thanks! I’ll be trying these too.

alex at a moderate life January 18, 2011 at 1:50 pm

Hi Lisa, linking up a great whole wheat buttermilk biscuit recipe which is easy as pie to make from scratch. All the best, Alex

Kim @ Cheap Chic Home January 18, 2011 at 5:05 pm

Yum, those look good. It’s been a long time since I’ve had Swedish meatballs.

lynn January 18, 2011 at 5:50 pm

So many recipes. So little time. Sigh. Everything looks so tasty :)

Michelle January 18, 2011 at 6:38 pm

Mmmm yum. I like the “healthy” version with the cream ;) Gotta have it tho! And making bread crumbs? My food processor is AWESOME for that. You can get just the size you want, too, by pulsing.

Queen of the House January 19, 2011 at 8:41 am

Great idea! I love Swedish meatballs! :)

laxsupermom January 20, 2011 at 6:33 am

I love swedish meatballs! They’re my first stop at Ikea. Thanks for sharing the healthier recipe and hosting this party.

jo@blog-diggidy January 20, 2011 at 2:40 pm

gonna start joinin gthis agian next week, i think!! anyone you know (maybe you, too) wanna help me out here???

jo@blog-diggidy January 20, 2011 at 2:41 pm

sry about the spelling, my keys are sticking on my laptop…lol

thecountrycook January 21, 2011 at 1:02 pm

Hi Lisa. I’m the newest follower of your blog and I just linked up a recipe to your link up party. Thank you so much for hosting. Your blog is wonderful and inspirational. So nice to meet you!

Lisa January 23, 2011 at 8:32 pm

Thank you for your sweet words. :-)