Tempt My Tummy Tuesday… Walla Walla Onion Pie

by Lisa on March 14, 2011

I walked into a friends house, last week, and her home smelled wonderful!  I immediately said, “What are you cooking?”.  She informed me it was “Walla Walla Onion Pie”.  To my surprise and joy, she then took the finished product out of the oven and served me a small slice.  I have NEVER had anything like it and it was wonderful!  So, of course, I had her give me the recipe.  Oh, and I have no idea why it is called Walla Walla Onion Pie.  Any ideas?

Sweet Vidalia Onions

Walla Walla Onion Pie

• 4 sweet onions, sliced thin
  • 1 Tbsp olive oil
  • 3 Tbsp butter
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 cup half & half
  • 2 Tbsp flour
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1/8 tsp pepper
  • pinch of nutmeg
  • 2 oz grated swiss cheese
  • chopped parsley

Prepare and partially bake pie crust to fit a 9 inch pan.   Saute onions in oil and butter over low heat until golden yellow.  Beat together eggs and half & half.  Then add salt, pepper and nutmeg.  Finally, add the onions and half of the grated swiss cheese.  Pour into crust and sprinkle remaining cheese on top and bake at 375 for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown.  Garnish with parsley.  Serves 4.

Flour Me With Love March 14, 2011 at 7:45 pm

This sounds really good! Our whole family loves onions so this will be a great new recipe, thanks :)

Jenn @ Beautiful Calling March 14, 2011 at 7:55 pm

I have never heard of such a thing but it sounds delicious!!

Emmy March 14, 2011 at 8:31 pm

Walla Walla, Washington is known for it’s sweet onions. They are as well known across the West as Vidalia onions are in the east. They are delicious! A lot of vegetables are grown in southeast Washington.

Sherry March 14, 2011 at 8:36 pm

Oooh, I bet this is delish!

bj March 14, 2011 at 8:51 pm

Thanks so much for hosting.
Maybe this recipe came from Walla Walla Washington? :)

Liz@HoosierHomemade March 14, 2011 at 8:52 pm

Thanks for hosting Lisa! Have a great week!
~Liz

Angela March 14, 2011 at 9:05 pm

Thank you so much for hosting! I love seeing all this great food:) Yum.

Candace March 14, 2011 at 9:30 pm

I can only imagine how wonderful that smells and tastes! I’ve never heard of anything like that before either; but it sounds fabulous. Walla Walla Onions are so yummy. Thanks so much for hosting! I’ve linked up my Breakfast Quesadillas. Have a wonderful Tuesday, Candace

Liz March 14, 2011 at 9:46 pm

I love quiche with onions, this sounds similar and goood!

Miz Helen March 14, 2011 at 10:36 pm

Your Onion Pie sounds really delicious. Thank you for hosting and you have a great week end!

Cera March 14, 2011 at 11:13 pm

I second bj, although I think I might be able to give a slightly more accurate approximation: Walla Walla Sweet Onions. They are the cream of the crop amongst onions around these parts (north Idaho and eastern Washington). They’re basically the northwest’s version of vidalia onions. I know I personally look forward to seeing them on the shelves every year.

Lisa March 18, 2011 at 8:32 am

Thanks for the great info! :-)

Tiffanee March 14, 2011 at 11:33 pm

I love Walla Walla onions. Who would of ever thought they would make a great pie. I must try this out!! Thanks.

April @ The 21st Century Housewife March 15, 2011 at 3:54 am

That onion pie has my mouth watering! It sounds wonderful, and I can just imagine how good it smelled.

Your post really brought back memories. When I was a very little kid, my Dad used to joke around about ‘Walla Walla Washington’. I can’t remember what he said, I think it was just the sound of the words that I found funny. I hadn’t thought of that in years – but I Googled Walla Walla Washington just now and it turns out it is an actual place. I wonder if the recipe came via there originally?

Lisa March 18, 2011 at 8:34 am

April, I have been getting such fun comments regarding Walla Walla. Apparently, they due grow onions. :-)

Self Sagacity March 15, 2011 at 3:55 am

A pie? My SO would love this since he loves onions.

Melinda March 15, 2011 at 6:54 am

Yum! It almost sounds like a French Onion Soup in a casserole!

Pam @ From Apples To Zucchini March 15, 2011 at 8:00 am

There is a variety of onion called Walla Walla – its a sweet onion. I am sure any sweet onion would work wonderfully in this – sounds delicious!

Betty March 15, 2011 at 8:55 am

I actually saw an onion pie in a pie baking competition once. Very interesting indeed! And Walla Walla onions are supposed to be even sweeter than Vadalia onions!

Lisa March 15, 2011 at 9:28 am

Thanks so much for hosting! I’m linking up my latest tasty muffin recipe: Peanut Butter Muffins. I love the way these turned out — they taste just like a peanut butter cookie only not as sweet. Enjoy!

Bibi March 15, 2011 at 12:47 pm

I never heard of Walla Walla Onion Pie, but looking at the recipe it sounds absolutely delicious.

My grandma used to make Onion cake that might be similar to it and I loved it. I need to find the recipe and make it one of these days.

Thank you for hosting. Today I linked up my Orange cheesecake.

Helen March 15, 2011 at 12:48 pm

I’ve never heard of an onion pie, but ususally the new things we try turn out to be keepers!
Helen

Carol@easytobeglutenfree March 15, 2011 at 1:06 pm

I was introduced to onion pie many years ago. I had my doubts about it at first but it is really fantastic. Your recipe was probably called Walla Walla onion pie because they originally used Walla Walla onions – similar to Vidalias but from Walla Walla, WA. Thanks for hosting!

Dorothy March 15, 2011 at 2:31 pm

Yep, they come from Walla Walla Washington usually so hence the name. Sure sounds yummy. We love onions around here so just may have to try this.
Blessings and hugs from Arizona,
Dorothy

katie martino March 15, 2011 at 3:21 pm

i found your blog on the right day! :)
thanks for hosting this!!!

Michelle March 15, 2011 at 7:38 pm

Oddly, I HAVE heard of this before. I’ve never had it, but it sounds really good. Mmmm yum!

Marelie March 15, 2011 at 10:27 pm

Hi Lisa, Im a new blogger. I just linked my recipe.. My Simple Custard Flan. My name is Marelie and your blog speaks a lot.. it is empowering. Take care

alex at a moderate life March 16, 2011 at 1:36 am

Hi Lisa, Walla Walla is a town in Washington state and bugs bunny used to refer to it often in the cartoons! Linking up a great recipe for Amish Beef Gravy that is awesome over biscuits! All the best, Alex

Megan March 16, 2011 at 10:01 am

I love onion pie and will have to try your recipe next time!

Jaime March 18, 2011 at 12:38 pm

Sounds delish! I featured you on Foodie Friday! Be sure to grab a button!