Taking it one day at a time…

by Lisa on June 3, 2011

It has been a while since I updated you on my weight loss and exercise plan.  Even though I haven’t updated you does not mean I have not been keeping with the plan.  I still meet with my trainer twice a week, unless I have a sick kid or someone is out of town.  We only cancel when there are legitimate reasons.  Also was also trying to get in the gym two other days a week to do cardio.  I had more difficulties with this goal, as there always seems to be something scheduled with friends, bible study, MOPS, etc.  So, the lack of extra cario was starting to impede my weight loss as was the fact that I don’t always eat what I should.

All in all, things are good.  I recently purchased a used elliptical off of Craig’s List and can now get my cardio in without any excuses!  My favorite time to do this is when Grace is down for her nap.  No excuse to get a tough workout in while she sleeps.  Also, I have been doing better about watching what I eat.  All these facts have contributed to continued weight loss and a decrease in my size!! Woo hoo.  I am current down 3 sizes and the weight is dropping as well.

Today I purchased new shorts.  After trying on every pair of shorts I own, I came to the realization I have non that fit.  They were all falling off me!!  What a great problem to have.  So, I was thrilled when trying on shorts at the store, I realized I am a size smaller than I thought!  Woo hoo!  It is a definite encouragement to me, knowing the hard work is paying off!

There have been set backs.  I made a goal to run a 5K in the fall, only to realize my knee is not up to the task.  I had been using the treadmill and combining a mixture of jogging and fast walking on the treadmill for training.  My knee began swelling and I was having a lot of pain, but only when I jogged.  I already had problems with shin splints, which were getting better, but the knee pain and swelling was  different.  My trainer and I finally decided to take it easy on the knee.  So, I am back to other forms of cardio – thus the reason for the “new to me” elliptical.

I recently had some fasting blood work done.  All was good except one.  I credit my weight loss an exercise with the good numbers.  I did have an elevated fasting blood sugar.  For those who don’t know what that means, it means I am borderline diabetic.  My doctor said, “the number is not high enough for you to be diabetic yet”.  She said “YET!”  I am fully aware that had I not been exercising and losing weight over the last 8 months, I would probably be fully diabetic now!  So, I am thankful for that.  This also means I need to be even that much more diligent about my diet and eating habits.  I do not want to become diabetic.

So, that is it.  I just wanted to give an update.  I keep on the healthier path.  I am proud of my successes and learn when I have set backs.  It is all part of the healthier life I have chosen to lead.  Each day I chose to live healthier, to show my daughter a better way to live; making exercise an important part of our lives and encouraging healthy eating habits.  I take it one day at a time.

April @ The 21st Century Housewife June 3, 2011 at 7:25 pm

Congratulations Lisa! You should be really proud of yourself! I’m struggling to stick with my exercise plan at the moment but I’m hoping to get back at it once I am home again. You have done so well – keep up the good work!

Lisa June 4, 2011 at 10:35 am

Thank you April! 🙂

Pamela June 3, 2011 at 8:26 pm

I think about how your success is doing with weight loss. Thank you for the post. I’m glad your still at it and not giving up. Keep up the great work.

Lisa June 4, 2011 at 10:35 am

Thanks Pamela! It means a lot to have the support of my friends!

Tammy June 3, 2011 at 9:30 pm

That’s FANTASTIC! Be proud of yourself! I’ve been doing WW for a little over a year now and have lost 50 lbs. BUT I NEED to get the excerise into my daily routine! Anyways, don’t give up you CAN get there!!

Lisa June 4, 2011 at 10:34 am

Tammy, thanks for the encouragement and congrats on the 50 lbs! That is awesome!

Deb June 4, 2011 at 6:05 am

GREAT work!!!

Lisa June 4, 2011 at 10:34 am

Thanks Deb.

Kim {Recipes To Run On} June 4, 2011 at 6:30 am

Congratulations on your healthy changes. It’s definitely a day by day, step by step decision isn’t it? And I totally agree…. having children who are watching you is definitely an important reason to make those healthy choices.

Lisa June 4, 2011 at 10:34 am

Thanks for the sweet words of encouragement.

Mary Joy @Seeds of Encouragement Sewn with Grace June 4, 2011 at 5:07 pm

I am so happy for you Lisa! You are doing so great! If you need any meal planning advise, just let me know. My husband has type II diabetes and we have been able to get his sugar levels down to where they need to be. It takes work…but it is so worth it. I learned a few key things after marrying him that have made a huge difference. Facebook me and we can get together on what helps and is still very yummy…and will help you lose weight too! 😀

Bless you my sweet friend!!!! You are right…doing the healthier eating and exercise has helped you to stay out of the diabetic range…but getting a handle on it now can help prevent you from ever going that far.

Sewn with His Grace,

Mary Joy

Lisa June 6, 2011 at 5:23 pm

Thanks, Mary Joy. I would love to have some of those meal ideas. I’ll check with you on facebook. 🙂

~LL~ June 4, 2011 at 10:40 pm

Sorry I have been scarce… though I do think of you often. How easy it is to lose track of others, huh? Trying to get back into blogging.

I *miss* seeing you in the blog-o-sphere.

Good job on the weight loss. I need to do some work. Right now, it will just be watching what I eat, considering the injury to my leg.

I’ll check back soon. Love ya!

Gluten Free A-Z June 7, 2011 at 3:12 pm

Lisa,
I love the blend of cheeses in that Mac and Cheese. Looks really good.
This week I linked a gluten free cookie recipe that is made with coconut flour.
It’s soft and chewy, high in fiber and low in sugar.. great healthy snack!