Last week I shared the yummy bacon and apricot bites from a recent party I attended. This week I am sharing the recipe used for cooking the brats at this same party. My sweet sister in law, Stephanie, has the best family. We just love being around her parents, siblings, aunts and uncles. This recipe came from her mom, Janet, who is a wonderful cook! I wish she blogged and would share all her cooking secrets with us! (I’ll try to work on her about that!) Anyway, thank you, Janet, for sharing this recipe. With this recipe, you grill the brats first, then slow cook them in the crock pot, making it easier to keep them hot and ready to serve without having to stand at the grill cooking while all your guest are eagerly awaiting a brat. (Most recipes call for you to first boil the brats in beer, then grill them. So, this is much different than the norm, but well worth it!)
Yesterday, my husband and I hosted dear friends for dinner. We were cooking hot dogs and burgers, but also wanted to share our new recipe for brats. The brats were a hit! I am glad we had the recipe and having cooked them ahead of time, all hubby had to do was finish up the burgers and hot dogs when our friends arrived.
Brats for a Party
- 12 Johnsonville Brats (You can use which ever brand you wish, we just prefer Johnsonville.)
- 2 -3 large sweet onions, sliced (I used vidalia)
- 1 stick butter
- 2 cans beer (no real preference here – as I am not a beer drinker. Hubby used his beer of choice.)
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1-2 dashes of Worcestershire sauce
1. Grill brats on all sides. Set aside. They do not need to be cooked thoroughly, just browned on all sides. They will continue to cook in the crock pot.
2. Saute sliced onions in a stick of butter until soft, but not caramelized. Once cooked, layer onions on the bottom of the crock pot.
3. Placed grilled brats on top of the onions.
4. Add the beer, vinegar, and Worcestershire sauce. Stir together.
5. Slow cook, in crock pot, for 2-3 hours. Then serve from the crock pot.
We enjoy our brats on a hot dog bun with spicy mustard. Don’t forget to put some of those sliced onions on top of the brat. That will add some extra good flavor.
I can’t wait to see what you are cooking up this summer!