Who wants to heat up the kitchen and turn on the oven? Any takers? Anyone? I totally agree!!!! It is too hot. We are having a “heat wave” hovering over the Midwest and we all know how hot they have been down south this summer. HHHHhhhooooottttt!!! That is why I am sharing this fresh and easy recipe which requires NO OVEN, only a little stove top action and the outdoor grill if you are brave enough to go outside.
Southwest Chicken and Rice Salad
- 2 medium ears of sweet corn
- 1/4 cup olive oil, divided
- 2 cups cubed cooked chicken breast
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, julienned
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced
- 2 Tbsp minced fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 2 medium ripe avocados, peeled and cubed
- Remove and discard corn husks and silk. Brush 1 Tbsp olive oil over ears of corn. Grill, covered, over medium heat for 15-20 minutes or until tender. Cut corn from cobs. (If it is too hot to grill, then used frozen whole kernel corn or a can of whole kernel corn, drained. )
- In a large bowl, combine cooked chicken, red pepper, jalapenos, cilantro and corn.
- In a small bowl, combine the lime juice, garlic, chili powder, salt, pepper and remaining oil; pour over chicken mixture and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for 2-3 hours.
- Cook rice according to package direction; cool. Just before serving, stir rice and avocados into salad.
Stay cool out there and enjoy!