I have to start today by telling you I am munching on my favorite snack at this very moment – roasted red pepper hummus! It is so yummy to use as a dip for crackers, raw veggies, pretzels – you get the idea. YUM! Okay, I know that was random – but I am hungry and wanted to tell you what I was eating! 🙂
NOW, for today’s recipe. I found this recipe when searching on www.cooking.com. Of course, I made a few changes to make it my own by deleting breadcrumbs and adding chicken. We loved it at my house and I think you will as well.
Broccoli, Chicken, and Pasta Casserole
1-2 cups cooked chicken, but in bite sized pieces
- 1 head broccoli (1 pound), cut into florets, stems peeled and cup into 1/2 inch pieces
- 8 ounces whole-wheat fusilli pasta
- 1 Tbsp plus 1 tsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped (about 1 cup)
- 3 Tbsp plus 1 1/2 tsp all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp ground mustard
- 4 cups skim milk
- 1/4 cup part-skim ricotta cheese, pureed
- 2 ounces grated Parmesan cheese (1 cup)
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- Preheat oven 425. Cook broccoli in a large pot of boiling water until slightly tender, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a bowl using a slotted spoon, reserving water in pot. Add pasta to water, and cook until al dente, about 8 minutes. Drain.
- Add oil and onion to a clean pan over medium heat. Saute, stirring occasionally, until onion is translucent, about 7 minutes. Add flour and ground mustard. Cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minutes. Whisk in the milk in a slow, steady stream. Bring to a boil. Cook, whisking, for 5 minutes. Remove from heat. Add cheeses and 1 tsp salt. Season with pepper.
- Stir in broccoli, pasta, and chicken. Transfer to a 8 1/2 x 11 inch baking dish. Bake until bubbling and top, about 25-30 minutes.
The original recipe did not have chicken and it also called for topping the dish with whole wheat bread crumbs. The breadcrumbs would have been a nice touch. I just omitted it from my recipe. Try it either way – both will be great!
Now, what’s cookin’ in your kitchen?