Tempt My Tummy Tuesday…. Slow Cooked Ribs (in the oven)

by Lisa on October 24, 2011

Welcome to Tempt My Tummy Tuesday.  Thank you for faithfully sharing your recipes each week.  You inspire me and so many others.

Today I am sharing a simple recipe for cooking ribs.  Pork spare ribs were on sale this past weekend.  I knew hubby had to go into work on Saturday and would not be able to do his magic, smoking the ribs.  So, I decided to try my hand at cooking them.  My friend had recently tried cooking ribs, on low heat, in the oven, over 3 hours and they turned out great.  So, I took her lead and tried it myself.  Granted, they don’t have that great smoking flavor and dark char you get from the grill – but they were good!

Slow Cooked Pork Ribs (in the oven)

• 1 slab of pork spare ribs (I am sure this will work with any variety of ribs.)
  • 1 bottle of your favorite BBQ sauce (We like Kraft Original.)
  • honey
  • brown sugar

Preheat oven 250 degrees.

1. To prepare the ribs, take them out of wrapping, rinsed and dried off access moisture.  I cut the slab into three sections – so they would easily fit in my large roasting pan.
  2. Prepare the BBQ sauce (My hubby’s recipe)- We use our favorite sauce (Kraft Original).  Pour half to three-fourths bottle of BBQ sauce in a medium size bowl.  Then add about a 1/4 cup honey and 1/4 cup brown sugar.  Mix well.  Set  aside.
  3. Heat a large skillet with olive oil.  Brown each side of the ribs.
  4. Place the browned ribs into your large baking dish.  (I used my large roasting pan.) Slather ribs on both sides with the prepared BBQ sauce.  Be generous with the sauce.   Why not?  It is so good!
  5. Cover baking dish with aluminum foil.  Place in oven and cook on 250 for 3 hours.

Enjoy.  They will be tender and falling off the bone.

Kimberly October 24, 2011 at 7:37 pm

Thank you for faithfully hosting! The ribs look delish! Have a wonderful week and enjoy the bagels that I “dropped off” 😀

Lisa October 24, 2011 at 8:01 pm

Why thanks. I love a good bagel! 🙂

Miz Helen October 24, 2011 at 8:09 pm

Your ribs look awesome! Hope you have a wonderful week and thank for hosting.

Liz@PocketChangeGourmet October 24, 2011 at 8:29 pm

I bet my men in the house would love those ribs! Thanks for hosting Lisa!
~Liz

jill@RealFoodForager.com October 24, 2011 at 8:31 pm

Hi,
I shared videos for making GF DF Banana Waffles and my
GF DF Banana Coconut Cream Dessert.

Bibi October 24, 2011 at 11:36 pm

I’ve been craving ribs for a week now…..they look finger licking good.

Marilyn October 25, 2011 at 5:01 am

Mmmm..this looks so yummy…I have to try it sometime..I’m such a RIBs fan.. YUM!! Thanks for hosting (sorry my linky entered twice, it wasn’t working so I guess while trying it linked twice)
PS: I would love to invite you to hopefully participate in “Project Pink Blog Day” Please check out this post of mine, I would LOVE to have you be a part of this awesome Day across blogs if it fits your schedule.. “All blogger’s going pink a day for “breast cancer” — Hope you in :
]] Wishing you a lovely week..http://theartsygirlconnection.blogspot.com/2011/10/paint-your-blog-pink-awareness-faith.html

Katie @Time2EatYall October 25, 2011 at 5:06 am

Sounds great! I could go for some BBQ Ribs – haven’t had them in awhile!

April @ The 21st Century Housewife October 25, 2011 at 5:42 am

Those ribs sound just scrumptious, and they look delicious too. Thank you for sharing them, and for hosting 🙂

Karyn - Pint Sized Baker October 25, 2011 at 7:26 am

Thanks for hosting! Those ribs look too good! First time linking up here 🙂

the intentional minimalist October 25, 2011 at 7:50 am

Thank you for hosting! This week I have shared the following seasonal farm-to-table recipes that promote the benefits of good health through nutrition from eating fresh unprocessed seasonal produce:

fried egg salad

potato and leek soup (vegan)

wild rice salad (vegan)

Happy cooking!
The Intentional Minimalist

Michelle October 25, 2011 at 10:36 am

Oh I love ribs. I actually had them last week for the first time in eons and was thinking that I need to make them at home. I’ve actually never done it before. This sounds a whole lot easier than I was anticipating!