I love a good casserole! Does anything cry out family meal more than the beloved casserole? This week I am sharing a new variation on a family favorite. I think many of us have grown up eating and cooking broccoli and rice casseroles. This recipe came from the November 2011 issue of Cooking Light and looks so good. You will want to try it soon.
Broccoli and Rice Casserole
- 2 cups 1% low-fat milk
- 1 cup water
- 1 (3 1/2 oz) bag boil in bag long-grain rice
- 3 cups small broccoli florets
- cooking spray
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1/3 cup chopped celery
- 1/3 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1/4 cup (2 oz) 1/3 less fat cream cheese
- 2 oz light processed cheese, cubed
- 2 cups shredded skinless, boneless rotisserie chicken breast
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup (1 ox) grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven 375
- Combine milk and water in medium saucepan; bring to boil. Add rice; cook 10 minutes. Remove rice; keep warm. Return milk mixture to a simmer. Add broccoli; cook 5 minutes. Drain; discard milk mixture.
- Heat a Dutch oven over medium- high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add onion, celery, and bell pepper; saute 5 minutes. Add cream cheese and processed cheese, stirring until cheese melts. Remove from heat; stir in rice, broccoli, chicken, salt, and pepper. Pour into an 8-inch casserole dish which has been prepared with cooking spray. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Bake at 375 for 10-15 minutes, or until cheese melts.
Do you have a favorite family pleasing casserole?