I am on the hunt for quick and easy casseroles. Several of my friends, at church, are currently taking turns providing meals and childcare for a friend’s family. Our friend, Janelle, is currently hospitalized with severe pneumonia (she has been in the hospital for one week). We are all taking turns providing care for her five children during the day, and provide meals while her husband is as work. It is kind of hectic to say the least. Also, once she is allowed to return home, her recovery will be slow and we will need to continue to help with meals and childcare. (All her five children are ages 6 and under.) Needless to say, I am running out of new ideas for meals to take. So, I bought one of those Taste of Home Casseroles mini magazines at the grocer’s checkout lane yesterday. I thought for sure I would find some new inspiration! I was correct. Wow, so many great recipes. I am going to make one of the dishes for my family tonight. We will be having Baked Spaghetti. If it goes well, I am sure I will be making it for Janelle’s family very soon.
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 cans (one 15 oz, one 8 oz) tomato sauce
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- uncooked spaghetti (one pound)
- 1 package (8 oz) cream cheese softened
- 2 cups (16 oz) cottage cheese
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 Tbsp minced chives
- 1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1-1/2 tsp butter, melted
- finely grated Parmesan, to sprinkle on top
- In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat; drain. Add the tomato sauce, ,garlic powder and oregano. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer uncovered, for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, cook spaghetti; drain. In a small bowl combine the cream cheese, cottage cheese, sour cream and chives; beat well. Place half of spaghetti in a greased 9×13 glass baking dish. Spoon cream cheese mixture evenly over top. Layer with remaining spaghetti and all of the beef mixture.
- Toss bread crumbs and butter; sprinkle bread crumb mixture and grated Parmesan over the top. Cover and bake at 350 for 20 minutes. Uncover; bake 5-10 minutes longer until heated through.
I apologize for the missing serving in the picture. My daughter was so hungry, I dipped out her serving as soon as it was out of the oven. She loved it. 🙂