Tempt My Tummy Tuesday…Caramel Drop – Banana Bread Trifle Dessert

by Lisa on January 2, 2012

Happy New Year!!

I found this recipe while looking through my mother’s Southern Living magazine, last month.   The recipe immediately made me drool!  It is decadent and rich and full of banana and caramel flavors.   I am sure you will have the same reaction.  Enjoy

Caramel Drop – Banana Bread Trifle Dessert

Custard:

• 1 cup sugar
  • 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 5 cups milk
  • 5 egg yolks
  • 1 Tbsp. vanilla extract
  • 1 Tbsp butter

Trifle Dessert:

• 1 (1-lb) banana bread loaf without nuts (about 8×4 inches) -(HERE is my favorite banana bread recipe.)
  • 2 large ripe bananas, sliced
  • 1 (13.4 oz) can dulce de leche
  • 1 (8oz) container frozen whipped topping, thawed
  • 1 cup chopped pecans, toasted
  1. Prepare Custard:  Combine first 3 ingredients in a heavy saucepan; whisk in milk.  Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly,  until thickened and bubbly (about 12 minutes).
  2. Whisk egg  yolks until thick and pale.  Gradually stir about one-fourth of hot mixture into yolks; add yolk mixture to remaining hot mixture, stirring constantly.  Cook over medium heat, stirring gently, 3 minutes.  Remove from heat; add vanilla and butter, stirring until butter melts.  Cool to room temperature.  Cover and chill up to a day ahead.  (Custard will be thick.)
  3. Prepare Trifle Dessert:  Chop banana bread loaf into 3/4 inch pieces to yield about 5 cups.  Place banana bread pieces in a 13×9 inch baking dish or similar size heavy0duty plastic container.  Spoon and spread Custard over banana bread; top with banana slices.  Top dessert with small dollops of dulce de leche.  Top with whipped topping, spread to edges; sprinkle with pecans.  Cover and chill 1 to 24 hours.

Original recipe taken from 2011 Christmas with Southern Living cookbook.

Jill@RealFoodForager.com January 2, 2012 at 8:14 pm

Hi,
I shared my Slow Roasted Chicken!

angie January 2, 2012 at 8:26 pm

this sounds yummy

Amanda Larson January 2, 2012 at 8:47 pm

Wow, this sounds delightful!! I linked up to my post about our New Year’s Day tradition- making individual grilled pizzas 🙂 http://www.copingwithfrugality.com/2012/01/pizza-on-grill-new-years-day-tradition.html

Lisa @ Stop and Smell the Chocolates January 3, 2012 at 2:19 am

Sounds like a great dessert idea! Thanks for hosting and Happy New Year!

Wendy (The Local Cook) January 3, 2012 at 4:17 am

Thanks for hosting! It’s salad week at The Local Cook.

Carrie @ My Favorite Finds January 3, 2012 at 7:33 am

Thank you for hosting. I wish I could eat bananas….they make me sick to my stomach. Suddenly, after my pregnancy with my daughter, bananas are NOT on my eating list anymore…and I used to love them!

Queen of the House January 3, 2012 at 10:27 am

Yes, indeed! Your recipe does sound wonderful! 🙂

Michelle January 3, 2012 at 1:02 pm

Oh WOW does this look yummy. Awesome awesome awesome but ummm ok maybe not the best way to keep my new years resolutions 😉

Tara January 3, 2012 at 2:08 pm

Hey my name is Tara. I am your newest follower on your blog site would you be so kind & follow me back it would mean so much to me. Thanks 🙂 Feel free to Like or Follow me on my facebook fan page & my Twitter!!!

shari brooks January 3, 2012 at 3:30 pm

happy to be at the party this week. I linked up some yummy recipes: chocolate haystacks, chocolate cake truffles and baked brie! enjoy and Happy new year shari@myjudythefoodie

Diana January 3, 2012 at 8:40 pm

This meme has been added to the list of food linkies at Link Rink.

Jennifer January 3, 2012 at 9:03 pm

Happy New Year! I’m sharing my crustless cheesecake recipe – perfect for those avoiding gluten and grains. Thanks for hosting!

sara January 3, 2012 at 10:16 pm

That sounds absolutely delicious!!! I love all things banana, and when dulce de leche is thrown in, well you can just buy me some elastic waist pants! 🙂 Can’t wait to try this!!!