Tempt My Tummy Tuesday…. Rice Krispies Treats and Memories

by Lisa on July 30, 2012

Tempt my Tummy Tuesdays

Sorry… you will have to humor me today.  I am feeling a little blue as the reality sinks in that my 5 year old will soon be entering Kindergarten.  Our first day of school is August 15th.  UGH!  That is right around the corner!!! Kindergarten orientation is next week.  What’s the big deal?  Well… this is my one and only… growing up and entering school.  No more spending the day as we like, going to the zoo or park all day.  She will be in school all day!  Grace and I just returned from our school supply shopping.   That really brought it home!  Then, to top it off, I checked the mail and we received the “welcome” letter from her new teacher.  Yes – it has hit me like a 2×4 right across the chin…….

Now I sit down to write  my TMTT post and I am at a loss.  So, if you will humor me – I am going to share a post I first published in August 2009 when Gracie was just over 2 years old.  Oh what a cutie she was and still is.   I hope you enjoy our little adventure in the kitchen.  And, thanks again for humoring me during my pity party moment…

Now to my fun time with Grace. I wanted to share some of her thoughts and exclamations through our cooking adventure.

“Mom is using this pretty bow to hide the clutter on the counter top. I don’t care about the mess. I am having fun and making memories.”

Rice Krispies Treat Recipe:

• 3 tablespoons butter or margarine
  • 1 package (10 oz., about 40) regular marshmallows
  • – OR –
  • 4 cups miniature marshmallows
  • 6 cups Kellogg’s® Rice Krispies® cereal

I can’t finish this post without a current picture of my little princess.  I took this picture last week as we were traveling back from our Texas vacation….

Princess Grace at 5 yrs and ready for Kindergarten.

Do you have a special kitchen memory with your child? As always, I appreciate you linking up to TMTT.

Liz July 30, 2012 at 9:58 pm

Just love the pictures of you and your little girl!!! My little girl is only 3 and I am already not looking forward to her starting kindergarten! Enjoy the few weeks before hand….I am sure you will find plenty to fill your day while she is at school :0)

Lisa July 31, 2012 at 2:35 pm

Thanks, Liz.

tanya July 31, 2012 at 6:29 am

Your pictures remind me of baking with my oldest when she was 2! She’s now 8 an going into 3rd grade! Yikes, time is going way too fast! I have a 3 year old too, who will start preschool this fall. I’m so sad! I’m going to miss her for those 4 hours a week she’ll be gone! But I totally understand how you feel. When she does go to kindergarten, I will be a wreck. It’s not really that they’ll be starting school, it’s just knowing that this is the beginning of your kids working their way out of the nest! Thanks for hosting by the way! Good luck this week.

Lisa July 31, 2012 at 2:34 pm

Thanks Tanya for your words. It is hard watching them grow up!

SusieQTpies July 31, 2012 at 6:43 am

Oh my goodness this is the most adorable post, ever! I love it and giving you a pin on Pinterest! I have 3 girls and have always loved cooking with them in the kitchen. They are now almost 18 and 13. The 13 year old is an excellent baker.
Have fun with your cutie and savor each moment because they grow and change so quickly.

xoxo susie

Lisa July 31, 2012 at 5:34 pm

Thanks Susie. Times flies so fast! Glad you enjoyed my walk down memory lane. 🙂

Lisa July 31, 2012 at 6:47 am

What a sweet post…she is adorable! My littlest went to Kindergarten last year and it broke my heart. I think it’s harder on the moms then them, lol. You’ll see how excited she is and that makes it easier on you 🙂 Thanks for hosting!

Lisa July 31, 2012 at 2:34 pm

Thanks Lisa.

Diane Balch July 31, 2012 at 7:48 am

I remember when my youngest went off to school. It was sad going to the grocery store alone. Eventually I get over it and you will too. You’ll see how much she will enjoy school and tell you stories about her day when she get’s home.

Lisa July 31, 2012 at 2:33 pm

Thank you Diane. It makes me feel better knowing you ladies have all been through the same thing… and I know it will be ok… maybe. 🙂

Miz Helen July 31, 2012 at 7:51 am

Good Morning Lisa,
What precious memories they are and you will continue to make them with your adorable daughter. I can remember when my last went to kindergarten, he said to me that morning, I don’t think I will go,I said why not, he said, who will stay with you? He was right, who would stay with me? The void was filled quickly with activities at the school, and church and we are still making memories today. We can’t wait for the first day of school photos. Hope you are having a good day and thanks for hosting!

Lisa July 31, 2012 at 2:32 pm

Thank you Helen for sharing your memory with me. 🙂

Hollie July 31, 2012 at 8:19 am

How fast they grow… sigh. Thanks for hosting!

Lisa July 31, 2012 at 8:47 am

What precious photos and memories! Can’t wait to hear how much she loves school! Thanks for hosting! 🙂

Lisa July 31, 2012 at 2:31 pm

Thank you, Lisa. 🙂

SharonMarie@ kitchengrapevine.com July 31, 2012 at 8:51 am

Hi, I’m linking up today from over at Kitchen Grapevine. I read your post and just had to respond. I know how hard it is to send them off to kindergarten and just want to encourage you to stay involved by volunteering at your daughters school. They always need help whether its field trips, parties, special projects and bringing in snacks. (and being the good cook that you are, they will love you bringing snacks in) By being involved you will feel less abandoned and lonely at home!

Lisa July 31, 2012 at 2:30 pm

Sharon, thank you so much for the encouragement! I do plan to get involved. I think you are correct – that will help. 🙂

Michelle July 31, 2012 at 9:43 am

Oh wow has she gotten big. I now have a 2nd and a 3rd grader. It’s hard to believe how the time flies. This is a perfect post though – and what a great memory. I love cooking and baking with the wee ones. We do it all the time, and it’s so fun.

Lisa July 31, 2012 at 2:31 pm

Thanks Michelle!

Jenni@MomEssentials.Net July 31, 2012 at 2:43 pm

Hi!
Thanks for letting me share my own recipe of helathy, tasty and delicious Nourishing cocoa bars!

Here’s the link:http://www.momessentials.net/nourishing-cocoa-bars

Janet July 31, 2012 at 3:47 pm

It was so hard on me to see my boys go off to preschool and one to Kindergarten (we homeschool now). I cried more than they did in the beginning…their principal was wonderful at reassuring me that I would be okay. I find it funny now that she reassured me about myself and not them. 🙂 How I needed that!

Lisa July 31, 2012 at 5:33 pm

Janet, I am sure I will be the same way! LOL!

Sheryl July 31, 2012 at 10:40 pm

Such a lovely little lady you are raising! Thank you for the cute photos. Know what? You really should research homeschooling! It is such an awesome lifestyle and IMHO, the very best option for Christian families! Blessings to you.