Tempt My Tummy Tuesday… Savory Herb Chicken and Rice Casserole

by Lisa on August 27, 2012

Tempt my Tummy Tuesdays

I have been trying to cook strictly from my pantry and freezer, this past week.  I wanted to use up what we had before making a trip to the store.  I was successful and came up with a few new dishes.  This Savory Herb Chicken and Rice Casserole was one such dish.
I found a box of Lipton Recipe Secrets, Savory Herb with Garlic in the pantry and decided to liven up my traditional chicken and rice casserole.  It was a GREAT change.  I made several substitutions to my regular recipe updating a family favorite.

Updated Chicken and Ricke Casserole

Savory Herb Chicken and Rice Casserole
Author:
Recipe type: entree, casserole, poultry

Tasty way to liven up a chicken and rice casserole.
Ingredients
  • 6 -8 chicken thighs
  • 2 cans cream of mushroom soup
  • 1 soup can of milk
  • 1 pkg. Lipton Savory Herb with Garlic soup mix (Or 1 pkg. dry onion soup mix if you don't have the other.)
  • 1½ cups uncooked regular white rice
Instructions
  1. Put rice in greased 13x9 inch baking dish. Mix cream of mushroom soups with milk; pour over the rice and stir to mix. Sprinkle the savory herb soup mix on top, saving a small amount to sprinkle over the chicken. Place the chicken thighs on top. Now sprinkle remaining savory herb soup mix on top of the chicken. Cover with foil and bake at 350 for 1½ hours. Remove foil for the last 15 minutes to let the chicken brown.

tanya August 27, 2012 at 8:24 pm

Thanks for the party!! Have a good week!

Miz Helen August 27, 2012 at 8:26 pm

I just love your Chicken and Rice Casserole, it is pure comfort. Hope you have a great week and thanks for hosting!

Jenny August 27, 2012 at 9:19 pm

Oooh. This is one of my favorite ways to do chicken. Yummy!

Joan@Chocolate and More August 27, 2012 at 10:07 pm

Your Chicken and rice sounds wonderful. We used to eat it all the time but I got bored with the same old thing. Can’t wait to give yours a try. Thanks for hosting and have a great week!

Lisa August 27, 2012 at 11:16 pm

Thanks for hosting! This looks delicious! Feel free to come by my blog and link it up for “Try a New Recipe Tuesday.” I’d love to have you join us, as well! 🙂 Many blessings, Lisa

Lisa August 28, 2012 at 7:21 pm

Thanks for linking up, Lisa! 🙂

Melissa @ The Alchemist August 27, 2012 at 11:38 pm

Your chicken casserole looks absolutely delicious!

Thanks for hosting the party!

Melissa @ The Alchemist

April @ The 21st Century Housewife August 28, 2012 at 3:07 am

I love easy and delicious recipes like your Savory Herb Chicken and Rice Casserole. It’s perfect comfort food for busy days! Thank you for sharing it, and for hosting. Have a lovely week, Lisa 🙂

Judy Haughton-James August 28, 2012 at 11:54 am

This dish certainly looks tasty! I am a big fan of chicken!:) Thanks for hosting. I am a new Follower on twitter and have added a link for the first time. Have a good day.

Jo August 28, 2012 at 5:02 pm

this looks incredible good,I love this chicken and rice casserole recipe.Lipton Savory Herb with Garlic soup mix,marvelous addition,I need to try this recipe.

I’m also trying to cook out of the pantry/freezer,it is challenging,but fun also,I have made up my mind not to go to town till absolutely “have to”

kelli- AdventurezInChildRearing August 28, 2012 at 7:24 pm

Linking up my kids in the kitchen post- I’d love to have you link up with us at http://www.adventurezinchildrearing.com

jpatti August 29, 2012 at 11:02 am

Thanks for hosting! I linked up my curried chicken salad recipe:

Mary Hudak-Collins August 30, 2012 at 8:59 am

This looks scrumptious! Thanks for hosting another great week of sharing recipes 🙂

Jenni@MomEssentials.Net August 30, 2012 at 10:45 am

Hi!
Thanks for letting me share my own recipe of healthy, tasty and delicious Fast, Fresh, Mouthwatering Hummus!

Here’s the link:

Jenna @ Newlyweds August 31, 2012 at 6:40 pm

Yummy, this looks very similar to a recipe I make, I will have to try the Lipton soup mix in mine next time.

Sylvia September 2, 2012 at 2:57 pm

another great way to cook chicken 🙂
Thanks for hosting the party.

tanya September 3, 2012 at 7:52 pm

Thanks for hosting! Have a good week.

Kendra January 1, 2013 at 6:21 pm

I made this tonight! While the taste was great, the rice was not done at 1 1/2hours. I would highly suggest using already cooked rice in this dish unless you have the time to wait for it to cook properly in the oven. Otherwise, your rice will be crunchy and I don’t like crunchy rice… Thanks for sharing the recipe!

Misty January 6, 2013 at 6:36 pm

Uh oh …. I take mine out of the oven in 20 minutes …. I hope the rice is done!! I have a hungry family right now …. on another note it smells delicious!

Misty January 6, 2013 at 7:18 pm

Ok well I agree, the rice should be cooked before. Mine was also crunchy lol — but the flavor was WONDERFUL!