Welcome to another summer edition of Tempt My Tummy Tuesday… I am not wanting to heat up the house these days. So that oven is staying off. How about a great salad instead?
I first shared this 7 Layer Salad in 2009. It is such a family favorite, I thought I would share it again. I also came across another variation this week. I think it sounds wonderful so I am also sharing that 6 Layer Salad variation.
7 Layer Salad
Layer the following in a 4 quart bowl:
- 6 cups iceberg lettuce and6 cups chopped romaine lettuce
- 1/2 cup crumbled bacon
- 3/4 cup red onion, chopped
- 1 (10oz) package frozen green peas, thawed
- 1 cup chopped red/orange/or yellow bell pepper
- 3/4 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Dressing: Combine 3/4 cup mayo, 3/4 cup sour cream and 1 package dry Italian dressing mix. Mix well and pour on top of the salad to seal the salad.
- Variation 2 Dressing: 2 cups mayo, 1 tsp sugar, 1 tsp curry powder
- Variation 3 Dressing: 2 cups mayo, 1 tsp sugar
Once all layers are completed, seal with plastic wrap and chill up to 24 hours.
And, for another variation using pasta and chicken –
- 1½ cups uncooked small pasta shells
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 3 cups shredded lettuce
- 3 hard boiled eggs, sliced
- ¼ tsp salt
- ⅛ tsp pepper
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken breast
- 1 pkg, 10 oz, frozen peas, thawed
- 1 cup mayo
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 cup (4oz) shredded Colby or Monterey Jack cheese
- 2 Tbsp minced fresh parsley
- Cook pasta, drain and rinse in cold water. Drizzle with oil and toss.
- place lettuce in 2½ qt glass serving bowl; top with pasta and eggs. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Layer with chicken and peas.
- In small bowl, mix dressing ingredients until blended; spread over top. Cover and refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
- Just before serving, sprinkle with cheese and parsley.