Tempt My Tummy… Peppermint Kiss Sugar Cookies

by Lisa on December 3, 2012

Have you started your holiday baking yet?  I have already been invited to my first cookie exchange of the season.  I needed FIVE dozen cookies….. So, I headed over to Pinterest looking for Christmas ideas and recipes.

Now, these cookies are very tasty! My family has enjoyed nibbling on them all week.  But, it did take a little more effort than I initially planned.  Therefore, after one batch was done, I nixed the idea of baking all five dozen of this particular cookie.  I eventually made my old standby and favorite Christmas time treat, my peanut butter bars!! I first shared this recipe in 2009.  Make sure you check them out!

Peppermint Kiss Cookie FailNow, back to the peppermint kiss sugar cookies.  The key to making this cookie pretty is letting the cookie cool down before placing the peppermint kiss on top.  However, you still need the cookie to be warm …. BUT, as you will see in my picture…. you must let them cool somewhat or you have melted kisses on your cookies.  The original recipe instructs you to immediately put the cookies in the freezer to keep the kisses from melting.  I did this… but, as you see, it did not help.

I was baking them one cookie sheet at a time.  So, with the second cookie sheet, I let them cool longer, then placed the kisses on top.  I also immediately placed them in the freezer, hoping it would help…Not so much.   My final solution was to unwrap 30 more kisses and place them on top of the already melted kisses, allowing the new kisses to “stick” on the cookie.   The final product tasted great, but were not as pretty as the lovely Pinterest picture which first drew me to the recipe.  LOL!  Isn’t that how it always goes?  Well, that is how it goes for me.  :-)

Pepperming Kiss Cookies at Blessedwithgrace.netPeppermint Kiss Sugar Cookies

• 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
  • 1 1/4 cups butter, room temperature
  • 1 tsp peppermint extract
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 large egg
  • 3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 cup finely chopped Candy Cane flavored Hershey’s Kisses
  • Granulated Sugar
  • About 30 unwrapped Candy Cane Kisses

For directions, go to Over The Big Moon blog.  You can see how her pretty cookies turned out.  Personally, the cookies, without any kiss on top, are awesome!! I will be making them again, and just leaving off the Peppermint kiss step.  As you will see in the recipe directions, there are already 1/2 cup of finely chopped peppermint kisses in the cookie batter.  :-)

Peppermint Kiss Cookies - Blessedwithgrace.net

So, have you had any baking “fails” yet?  I would love to hear your story.   Happy baking!

Don’t miss out on any recipes.  Subscribe and receive Blessed With Grace in your email.  Also, join us on Facebook.

Miz Helen December 3, 2012 at 7:37 pm

Tis the season for Peppermint and your cookies look awesome. I am sharing my Muffaletta Casserole for the party today. Hope you have a great week and thanks for hosting!

Christie - Food Done Light December 3, 2012 at 7:43 pm

Thanks for hosting. Your cookies look delicious. I love the way the peppermint kiss melts a little on the cookie.

Alana December 3, 2012 at 9:58 pm

Your cookies look delicious! Thanks for hosting :)

Lisa December 3, 2012 at 10:38 pm

I think they look wonderful (and delicious!) :-) Thanks so much for hosting. Feel free to come by and link these up with “Try a New Recipe Tuesday.” I’d love to have you join us. :-)

Alea December 4, 2012 at 3:06 am

Your cookies look wonderful! I am sharing my Spinach and Mushroom Quesadillas this week.

Mary Hudak-Collins December 4, 2012 at 6:13 am

I have never been able to tolerate peppermint, but if I could your cookies would be at the top of my list for giving a try! They look scrumptious! Thanks for hosting and I hope you have a wonderful week Lisa :)

Jenni@MomEssentials.Net December 4, 2012 at 6:14 am

Hi!
Thanks for letting me share my own recipe of tasty and delicious
Roasted Maple Nuts!

Here’s the link:

Kendra @ A Proverbs 31 Wife December 4, 2012 at 7:34 am

Hahaha! The thing that always happens to me is hubby opens the oven door to see what’s baking and then lets the door slam because there is no handle.

Judy Haughton-James December 4, 2012 at 7:38 am

Wow! The Peppermint Kiss Sugar cookies are so beautiful. I am sure they are delicious. Thanks for hosting. I am happy to link up for the first time.
Judy – Judy H-J’s Thoughts.

Janet @ Frugal & Focused December 4, 2012 at 8:20 am

Those look good, melty or not. Makes you wonder how the person who originally shared them made it work. Thanks for hosting.

April @ The 21st Century Housewife December 4, 2012 at 9:25 am

I’ve had more baking fails than I’d care to admit to over the years :) Your cookies look absolutely wonderful, even if they are not exactly how you had them planned. I just love peppermint this time of year! I’m going to have to try to find some of those peppermint kisses while I’m in Canada…I know we won’t have them in the UK!

Michelle December 4, 2012 at 10:14 am

Wow, 5 dozen cookies for an exchange? That’s a LOT! I host a cookie exchange each year, and we only exchange 3 dozen :) And we still end up with a lot…. someone brought these cookies last year, and they were a hit. It isn’t about looks, just taste!

Nina December 9, 2012 at 5:29 am

Hi Lisa, Oh your Peppermint Kiss Cookies look so delicious – our boys would love them! I need to print your recipe …
Have a blessed Sunday,