We are still experiencing cold weather here in the Midwest. Actually, they are predicting snow – again – tomorrow. With the cold, I wanted something warm to eat. Stay warm, folks… and for those of you down south, already starting your “spring”…. I don’t want to know about it. LOL!
- 1 lb ground beef, browned (I use lean ground turkey)
- 1 can Ro*tel (You can omit if you do not want it to be spicy
- 1 can whole kernel corn – do not drain
- 8 oz can tomato sauce
- 1 can stewed tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cans water
- 1 can ranch style or chili style beans – do not drain
- 1 small onion chopped and cooked with the ground meat
- 1 package taco seasoning mix ( I use a low sodium seasoning packet or mix my own)
Brown meat, sauteing the onions with the meat. Drain any grease. In a dutch oven or soup pot add meat and all other ingredients. Simmer on stove-top until ready to eat.
I like to serve this soup with several sides, letting the family choose what toppings they want to add to their soup.
Options: Fritos, grated cheese, sour cream, green onions, black olives, chopped cilantro, or diced avocado. You choose what toppings are best for the preferences of your family. My husband loves Jiffy cornbread muffins with his taco soup.