Tempt My Tummy – Amish Friendship Bread

by Lisa on March 11, 2013

Tempt my Tummy TuesdaysIt is another busy week. I have family visiting from out of town. We are spending the day at the Saint Louis Science Center. We have never been. So, it will be fun to explore with our out of town guests.   I am not cooking anything super special while the family is here.  I am keeping it simple.

Although I did bake two yummy Amish Friendship Bread loaves.  It is a sweet bread with vanilla and cinnamon flavors.  A friend from church shared her starter with me.   I had never made Amish Friendship Bread before, but remember my mother baking it and caring for her starter everyday until bake day.  Have you ever made it?  Do you have a current starter you are using?  I found a great blog which tells you all about friendship bread.  She also shares  instructions on how to make the starter and recipes to use to bake your bread. HERE is the link, at FriendshipBreadKitchen.com, to the starter recipe and bread recipe.  This is the same recipe I used.  :-)

Let me know if you bake friendship bread.

Don’t miss out on any recipes.  Subscribe and receive Blessed With Grace in your email.  Also, join us on Facebook.

Miz Helen March 11, 2013 at 7:44 pm

I have made Friendship Bread in the past, but haven’t made it in a long time, it is always a fun bread to share with a circle of friends. Have a good week and thanks for hosting!

madge | the vegetarian casserole queen March 11, 2013 at 8:06 pm

Amish Friendship bread is fabulous! I’ve never made, but also wanted to. I have been the St. Louis Science center a whole bunch of times…like every year on a school field trips in elementary school and once in high school! Hope you had a great time there. Its awesome!

Little Sis March 11, 2013 at 8:29 pm

Thanks so much for hosting!

Linda@With A Blast March 12, 2013 at 3:12 am

Thanks for hosting, Lisa!

karen March 12, 2013 at 4:30 am

Thanks for hosting babe. I wish I could make bread, but don’t have the necessary appliances. It sure does sound good though. I may have to keep the recipe just in case one day I have the opportunity to buy a break maker.

Lisa March 13, 2013 at 2:47 pm

Karen, the good news is you do not need a bread maker for this recipe. :-)

Wendy (The Local Cook) March 12, 2013 at 5:33 am

Thanks for hosting! It’s been years since I made Amish friendship bread. It’s a little dangerous, I’m afraid I’d eat the whole loaf :-)

Linda @ Mixed Kreations March 12, 2013 at 5:55 am

Hello, I’m new to your party. Looks like a great party. Thanks for hosting. Have a wonderful day.

Linda

Charlotte Moore March 12, 2013 at 6:47 am

I made Amish Bread years ago for a long time. I would double or triple my recipe sometimes and sell the bread to people that wanted it. My favorite was to add chocolate pudding, lemon pudding, or coconut pudding. Omit the cinnamon if using these puddings. I would add poppy seed to the lemon and nuts to the chocolate. I think I put coconut in the coconut too. Sooooo good!!!

As someone said, it is dangerous to have around if you have a weight problem. My sister gained about 10 pounds from making it several time.

Kim of Mo'Betta March 12, 2013 at 9:32 am

I love Amish Friendship Bread! I haven’t made it in years. I need to make a starter, and maybe my kids would enjoy “feeding” it! Thanks for hosting! I’ve linked up Bourbon Chicken (that does not contain bourbon)

Janet @ Frugal & Focused March 12, 2013 at 3:40 pm

I’ve never made Amish Friendship Bread but it sounds really good. Enjoy your company and thanks for hosting.

Ruthie March 12, 2013 at 4:10 pm

Thanks for hosting the fun party!
I would love to have you over to my site on Saturdays for my linky party!
Have a great week!
xoxo
~Ruthie
whatscookingwithruthie.com

April @ The 21st Century Housewife March 12, 2013 at 5:45 pm

I’ve never made Amish Friendship Bread, but what a lovely idea and tradition. The recipe sounds delicious. This week I’ve shared a very tempting Caramel Croissant Pudding. Thank you for hosting, and I hope you have fun at the Science Centre!

kewkew March 14, 2013 at 7:39 am

Thanks for the linky.
It has been a couple of years since I made Amish Friendship Bread. At one point I was baking a bunch of them for bake sales as I couldn’t find people to share the starter with. They do freeze pretty well, but I really don’t need all the bread when I am trying to lose weight. Especially because I like it with butter.
I also have a recipe for Amish Friendship Cake which uses the same starter. That is a great thing to take to Fellowship meal. I believe I have used apple and maybe blueberry, plus it has a struesel type topping. Yummy.

Katie B. of HousewifeHowTos.com March 14, 2013 at 10:24 am

Thank you for hosting, Lisa! Such a fabulous party. :) I wanted to invite you to join my How To Tuesday link party, if you haven’t already joined . It would be wonderful to have you!

Sonshine March 14, 2013 at 1:09 pm

Love Amish Friendship bread!! Love using to not only make the vanilla pudding and cinnamon flavor but pumpkin, chocolate chip(omit the cinnamon and 1-2 cups of chocolate chips) bread. I even found a chocolate chip cookie recipe that I am thinking on trying with some of my starter.

Right now I just divided up one round of starter so now I have 5 bags sitting on my counter…hopefully I will be able to “pawn”/give some of them away soon!

GS test demo April 1, 2013 at 1:40 am